Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hold down a full time job and am quite comfortable in a one to one situation.

One of my issues is that, I have a huge fear of being overheard. So in a group, I rarely ever talk. In parties, I'll be holding a conversation with one person separate from the group while holding a drink. I have a big avoidant issue and terrified of letting people see the "real me". I avoid women and am terrified of showing interest. I'll only be able to go anywhere with a girl if she does all the initiation. I have a big barrier or a wall around new people. I can have a conversation but it's very superficial and I rarely have a light hearted conversation where we are both laughing. I can only be myself around people who I see as lower than me. I don't like to go to lunches/dinners with most people unless it's people I grew up with or part of my immediate family (due to uncomfortableness).

Otherwise, I can function fine.... for the most part. I still get shy in different situations and have paranoid thoughts but I am not expecting to be perfect. Those are just some things I have to deal with.

Should I go seek a therapist for some CBT or would that be unnecessary for someone like me who can function just fine for the most part.... but that comes at the cost of being a big homebody/loner

·
Improving
987 Posts
I can also function in normal day to day activities but cannot meet women or make new friends. Over the years this has left me isolated and lonely which ended up in depression as I started to lose hope of ever meeting anyone.

I would not dismiss it just because it doesn't affect your functionality in life, You also need to learn to socialize with other people in order to have a full life. If there is anyway you can see a therapist for cbt, or join a group cbt program, I would recommend it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would see one now while things are manageable. Its amazing how the little things grow to bigger things before you know it. As preventive or maintenance measure I would see a therapist and that way you can keep it in check. Who knows maybe even improve your current state.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts