Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like experiencing traveling outside my city by myself for the first time. There's this conference related to my course I want to go which is an hour and a half train ride away. A friend of mine that enjoys traveling this time can't make it. So I'm thinking of taking this opportunity to try going alone. Do you think is a good idea?

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
sounds like an adventure to me. As long as you have a list of contacts you know will reach out if anything bad does happen, go ahead. Also make sure to have cash and funds in hand

·
hmm.
334 Posts
I really think you should do it. I was recently put in a sudden situation where i had to take an 8 hour train ride home alone and switch trains 3 times, and i had not been on a train for almost 10 years and managed to pull it off without feeling any kind of anxiety. I was really proud of myself for being able to do that. I think the reason why i didn't feel anxious was because it came so suddenly i had no time beforehand to worry about it.

In my opinion, you should do it. Try not to worry about it at all and just do it.

·
Straight Edge Soldier
52 Posts
I had to fly across the country just last year. Went from New York to Utah, having a stop in Chicago on the way. Never, ever been in an airplane before and to an airport for the first time completely alone was a very nerve wracking experience. However, I had to do it. And after it was, I felt really great after I did it. Now that I did it once, I feel like I can do it again and feel a lot more confident about it.

Just make sure you have a cell phone at all times and if you ever feel lost, confused, whatever - call the friend that couldn't make it. I was in constant contact with my dad during my flight and it calmed me down a lot. And a train ride sounds a heck of a lot less hectic.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I travel frequently, both with and without my husband and highly recommend it. I fill my plane time with reading material and good music. Think of it as an adventure. :)

·
Desu!~
5,166 Posts
Good choice ^^ I've only done it once or twice for therapy sessions, never had much of a reason to go elsewhere by myself, except maybe to visit someone in another country xD *needs to get out more*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts