Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· crazy
2,293 Posts
Our intro psych prof broke it down like this -

1. Psychiatrists - MD's, residency in psychiatry. not much psychology. learn about brain. can deal with drugs etc. some get further training to be therapists (tends to be analytic therapy). they're like the gold standard - really good (and expensive).

2. PhD - psychology, educational psychology, counseling - 4 yr academic degrees. do research, grad school practicum helping in counseling center, and 1 yr internship. often not enough practical training - tend to do more research.

3. PsyD - doctor of psychology - 4 yr academic, LOTS of practicum, no research, and 1 yr internship. if they're sure they want to be a therapist.

4. Masters degrees - psych, ed psych, counseling, clinical social work (msw)
insurance companies don't want to pay for PhD's, so lots of masters candidates in network. good at counseling in life problems, not serious disorders, and not trauma. ok for family matters etc.
MSW best of these, because designed to train to work with people.
Licensed Clinical Practitioner (LCP) means they took tests.

5. Certificate programs - marriage and the family, substance abuse. 1 year program. eg someone did this, read some Jung, and called herself a Jungian analyst (!)

My favorite therapist was a MSW/LCP - she used mostly CBT.

Are you already in school, or just thinking about it at this point?

· crazy
2,293 Posts
Wow thanks LostPancake! This is very informative! Sounds like the best course of action for me would be to become a Clinical Social Worker.

I'm not at school at the moment. I was attending a community college about one year ago but stopped because of the anxiety issues and excessive procrastination (which relates to it). I really do have a strong desire to treat people with anxiety disorders and major depression.
No prob - I've seen you trying to help people on here a lot - you'd probably be great at this stuff. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.