Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi as my lack of understanding why God isnt helping to change me continues I wonder is it really ok for Christians to go into therapy rather then to trust in the Lord to help them through ( never overburden you)? I'm really confused cause I pray to God everyday and never receive any answers although God has helped me to a degree with lesser problems in the past. I don't really understand what I should do? I feel bad like 90 percent of the time and Ive tried most meds and my doc is against Nardil and God isnt showing me something I should do and life is becoming more stressful because I desperately need to branch out and get serious about my career path, but my anxiety has me trapped. If anyone has any ideas let me know and please pray for me.

thanks, Shawn

·
kept in His hands
1,334 Posts
"I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." John 10:10

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

I believe God doesn't want us living in fear and anxiety, and I believe He sent Christ for our salvation and to restore our shattered lives. I don't see any problem with Christians going to a counselor or therapist. I believe God can and does use others to help us. Even in the bible we read about the disciples of Jesus healing many people. He sent them out to heal and restore their lives. God may be sending you someone who can help change your life as well.

Maybe you'd feel more comfortable going to a Christian counselor who will pray with you and seek God for ways to help you. I just started attending a class/support group to work on childhood issues. The facilitator is a Christian. In addition to counseling us, she says she prays for us throughout the week and then during the class. I feel it's making a difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm with truseeker on that one.

Do you go to church regularly? If so, then does your church have a prayer ministry team that you can talk to during or after the service? If so, then I suggest you speak to one of them.

If you are Roman Catholic then I suggest you go to the confessional and speak about it there.

If your social anxiety prohibits you from attending church then perhaps you could look up churches in the yellow pages, and write to or phone the ministers, and arrange a private meeting with them.

Going to a counsellor or therapist does not mean that you don't trust the Lord. On the contrary, the Lord has created us to yearn to be part of a community - and that's what the church is. The Holy Spirit's work is made harder when people divide themselves and isolate themselves from each other. So I believe the Lord very much wants you to seek out a counsellor, and also wants you to talk about it with your church's prayer ministry team too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe God has helped me tremendously. But, He has helped me to help myself. Kind of like teaching a man to fish instead of giving him fish. I find lessons everywhere that I use. I intrepret things in a way that helps me. Now, those same things may have happened anyway, but I chose to interpret them in a way that will benefit me instead of letting them slip by unnoticed. Of course, I recognize that these things probably were not meant to inspire me. But, I find it works!

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I don't particularly follow any religion but I can say, working intensive long term with two caring shrinks, one for two years, and another for another two years, I have managed to evelate my own personal symptoms and resolving other problems dramatically. I feel there's a lot of benefits working with a therapist or counselor or what have you.

Anyway I hope you are doing ok though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone been sent anyone by God to help them? I'm still waiting for God to send someone to help me. I feel stuck at this point in life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts