Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Should Catalonia be an Independent country?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They have their own flag, their own customs, their own language and the majority don't want to be part of Spain from what I heard.

·
Persona Non Grata
2,009 Posts
Balkanisation is rarely a good thing, nor is it necessary. Independent identity, customs and language are not an adequate justification for nationalism and separatism. in the context of Spain. If every linguistic minority had their own nation, the world would look VERY different.
Its not practical or necessary for Catalonia to be a sovereign nation, it's identity and rights are respected by Spain (Its nothing like the situations in say, Northern Cyprus)

·
♛♚♝♞♟♜♚&
6,528 Posts
I think Catalonia has always been an integral part of Spain, but basuraeuropea (a Catalan) seems to think that Catalonia belongs to Portugal?? ;)
LOL jk.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Catalonia and the rest of Spain are deeply in debt any move to Catalan independence now would be utterly pointless especially considering there will be no guarantees they will be let into the EU, Yes it is true that Catalonia subsidize some of the poorer parts of Spain but i highly doubt they will be any better of with independence.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
I think Catalonia has always been an integral part of Spain, but basuraeuropea (a Catalan) seems to think that Catalonia belongs to Portugal?? ;)
LOL jk.
how very dare you! - catherine tate as derek

but yes, i'm catalan and i don't think that catalunya should secede from the rest of spain for a variety of reasons, the biggest being that we are catalan but we are also spanish. like the good man brasilia said, catalunya is and has historically been an integral part of spain.

·
Banned
4,424 Posts
No. Countries in Europe are already super small. And if Catalonia gets independence, I think they will find themselves in a worse economic situation than they are now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts