Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of arranging to be a living kidney donor (for several reasons, some of which are actually decent). Wondering if anybody has any experience with this, and how you deal/dealt with the regular anxiety plus the more specific fears that come with social anxiety.

Failing that...anyone had major surgery? How did you deal with your anxiety related to the surgery? What was your hospital stay like?

Anything is helpful. I've never had surgery, never been admitted to the hospital. Just trying to wrap my mind around the potential consequences on my mental health. Plus catheters and people cutting me open and being hooked up to machines, etc. :(

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
Yeah circumcision, quite painful but the benefits outweigh the pain. Just remember pain is good sometimes. It turns you into Michael Jackson.

·
Seriously , never serious
6,456 Posts
That's brave of you
I had spine surgery and my only advice is tell them you react to codeine and not morphine so you get the good drugs the only part of it that makes it worth while .
Also get a private room if possible .
I didn't have a catheter as I refused to let them put one in ( they should have done that when I was knocked out ) but I had to get up and force my self to go which is bloody hard but the sooner you can go the sooner you can go home so it's worth the struggle and pain .
You'll be fine and don't think or research to much into it some times not knowing is better . ( ignorance is bliss ) that didn't come out of nowhere .

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would be an organ donor if I could set some kind of restriction to who would have access to my giblets. Like they would have to also have social anxiety, or their top 3 movies would have to also be on my list of top ten.

Its just that most people out there are so different from me I would feel very conflicted if I thought I might end up saving somebody's life that wouldn't want to be friends with me if we had met when I was alive.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're giving me a few options. Like, I can donate to a local adult, or to a child at the children's hospital, or I can start a chain reaction donation where I donate to someone, and then their friend/family member donates to somebody else, and their friend/family member donates to somebody else, and etc. I like that last option. Seems like the most bang for your buck.

But yeah if I could give it specifically to someone who dresses up like the Tick for Halloween, obv that would be my first choice. Honestly I don't know why they don't give me that option right out of the gate.

I had spine surgery and my only advice is tell them you react to codeine and not morphine so you get the good drugs the only part of it that makes it worth while .
Also get a private room if possible .
I know that codeine and morphine are both nephrotoxins, but I dunno which is preferable under the circumstances. They'll probably just hook me up with whichever is less dangerous to my last little kidney. Very loosely considering turning down the opiates entirely, tho...I'm sure it would hurt like a ***** but my family has a history of opioid abuse and I don't want to open that can of worms.

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
Why are you going to donate a kidney?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because somebody needs it, and I don't.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Woah woah woah!!!
I thought you were talking about letting them harvest your organs after you were dead and didn't need them anymore. You're a beautiful young girl with your whole life ahead of you, don't start pulling out vital organs just because you're bored.

if I could give it specifically to someone who dresses up like the Tick for Halloween, obv that would be my first choice.
Oh yea, well I promise to dress up like the Tick for every Halloween from here on out if you give ME the kidney. But I don't want you to hand it to me I want you to leave it right where it is.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Because somebody needs it, and I don't.
Oh yes you do ****ing need it. We're the end result of a two billion year evolutionary process and you wouldn't have two kidneys if it wasn't important. What if your one kidney shuts down and you end up at the mercy of someone else being as caring and selfless as you. That's extremely unlikely. The reason lots of people need kindneys is because they're alcholics or drug addicts and burnt their kidneys out. What if they relapse and burn your kidney out too then you did all this for nothing.

What if one day you get married to a great guy and one of your kids happens to need a kidney? How are you going to feel then when you can't help your own kid because you already gave your other kidney away to Mr. Al Coholic ?!?
:mum:mum:mum:mum:mum:mum:mum:mum:mum:mum

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm reasonably confident that if I give my kidney to a kid at the children's hospital, he probably isn't an alcoholic or a drug addict.

I appreciate your qualms with this, but my mind is pretty made up. I'm not just bored and I've been thinking about doing this for two years. And I still have a 30-day cooling off period to think about it more. Which I will.

If I decide not to do it, I'll get there on my own. In that case, at least let my stupidity work itself out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts