Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you people feel about going shopping? Is it hard for you?

The part I really can't stand is going to pay for things. I've taken to buying almost everything from this one supermarket, because it has self-service checkouts and I don't have to interact with anybody. I'm always afraid I'm going to get a friendly cashier. Usually they get the idea when I don't talk to them and refuse to make eye contact, but occasionally you'll get one who insists on greeting you and asking how you're going when it's obvious they don't give a ****. I always feel so dumb while I'm standing there waiting for them to take my money, like I'm not holding my wallet right or I'm standing too straight and stiff and I look like an idiot. It's even more awkward when they give me my change, because I'm so anxious to get out of there I try to stuff it into my wallet too quickly and I end up dropping it all over the floor. I've even stolen things because I was too frightened to go up and pay for them.

And then there's when store employees will come up and ask you if you need any help. Usually I'll just say no thanks, even when I do. Except for today. I was in the pharmacy looking for bandages, and all I could see were band-aids and sports tape. This lady came up and asked me if I needed help, and I couldn't manage to say anything. I thought of so many different things I could say, but they all sounded so stupid in my head. Eventually I managed a shaky "no" and left the store. I felt so ****ing dumb, I'd been shaking and I'd even teared up, I must have looked like such an idiot. All I wanted to do was be at home in my room where nobody could see me, but it was still a half-hour walk back to my house.

All that and I didn't even get to buy what I went out for in the first place.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I've even stolen things because I was too frightened to go up and pay for them.
I wouldn't go down that road.

Yeah,it can be a problem if they start to make small talk,but if you appear disinterested,they won't bother you. It gets easier - a few years ago,I couldn't even go into a supermarket. Now,it's not too much of a hassle. Too bad I've fallen down in other areas though...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I hate when other people checking out what food I buy at the supermarket.

When I stand in line, with just a bag of dry cat food for my kitty, I always get this weird feeling of paranoia - as though others think that I'm buying it for myself... And if I buy milk with that - i think that they think that I'm going to eat it like cereal... :eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only time I don't like shopping is when it's a small store and I'm browsing.
Same here - particularly awful when I'm the only one in the store aside from the clerk. That happens to me whenever I go to Radio Shack...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I hate shopping especially at the grocery store. Too many people, the aisles are too narrow, and no matter where I go, there is always someone at a spot that I need to get to on a shelf, and they take forever to decide what they want.
The more people, the more I hate it. I avoid shopping as much as I can!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't particularly enjoy it. So, before I hit the store I map out every aisle and desired item and get out of there as soon as possible. I also favor the self-service checkouts since I sometimes don't even want to have that brief moment of interaction. Another thing I like are stores that are open for 24 hours. Shopping at odd hours, like four in the morning, also spares me the added anxiety. I did that Sunday, actually. Loved it. C:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hate clothes shopping the most, because I automatically feel ugly and poor as soon as I walk into the building. I don't like it when the clerks try to help me because I feel they must think that way about me and I don't know anything anyway.

But the main reason I hate shopping is because I get really nervous having to do simple math in front of people, and I apologize and laugh nervously a lot. I can tell it's quite annoying and I just keep prolonging it, by being terrible at math. Occasionally people have gotten really frustrated with me, but it's almost worse when they're polite about it. Then I can't go on about how rude they were to make myself feel better when I leave.

I hate it when they try to make small talk over the items, too. They are so unneccessary about it--every time I bother to reply they just ignore me and I feel stupid.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
When I stand in line, with just a bag of dry cat food for my kitty, I always get this weird feeling of paranoia - as though others think that I'm buying it for myself... And if I buy milk with that - i think that they think that I'm going to eat it like cereal... :eek:
omg that's hilarious! i'm sorry, not making fun of you, but that just struck me as funny. I seriously doubt people would think that, but I understand the feeling of paranoia very well.

As to the original question, I don't really mind grocery shopping. Clothes shopping is the worst for me. The whole ordeal of having to try on clothes in those horrible little dressing rooms, then feeling like nothing looks good on me anyway....just leaves me incredibly depressed and I more often than not leave without buying anything. I feel anxious going to the same shop too often. No idea why, but it makes me feel self-conscious.

·
Registered
591 Posts
omg. this is a challenge that the bf and i are currently working on. I can now go into the grocery store BY myself (yay) but it has taken me about half a year to get to this point. I rush in, get what i need, and either self check out, or go to a person that looks like they dont want to talk :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think watching me shop has to be comical. I mean I am all over the place. I can't seem to go in an orderly fashion and I get side-tracked constantly so I keep going back to the isles I've been down before. When there are a lot of people in the store I get really frazzled and if I bring home half the things on my list it's a miracle. Don't seem to have an issue with the cashiers but I'm always one of those unlucky people that switches lanes because one is taking too long and then end up stuck even longer....Ack!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts