Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I have smelly feet and im not ashamed to admit it. I like these pair of shoes so I dont want to throw them out.

I didnt google the issue because I want to guage your reactions to this instead.

What do you guys do when shoes start to smell? I've heard everything from washing them in the washing machine, using arm and hammer, using those odour eliminating orthotics.

I don't know what to do to get rid of the smell :( I'm pretty sure I have to do a combination of things.

What have you guys had success with?

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I wore my favorite shoes to walk home in after four hours of ballet and they acquired a smell. I tried odor-absorbing cedar-containing things you put in shoes, but that didn't get rid of it (maybe if I'd put them in right away it would have helped more?). I tried baking soda, too. I don't know what you can do once the smell is already there. :( Maybe you could try leaving them in the sun for a while, if weather permits and you're not worried about fading (like I am with my shoes).

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Lysol disinfectant spray - get the linen or spring fresh scent and spray it into the shoes like there is no tomorrow.

Bacteria is causing the odor.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After consulting the internet, I will be:

-Throwing them in the washing machine and washing them that way
-Letting the shoe dry for a few hours
-Dousing the interior with rubbing alcohol
-Drying the remaining shoe with a hair dryer
-Literally dumping baking soda into the shoe by the cup full
-Spraying disinfectant Lysol or Shoe Spray
-Ziplocking the shoe into a bag and throwing it into a freezer for 24 hours

Apparently each step kills off different sets of bacteria. We shall see. LOL If not, my shoes are going to the dump. :(

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Wash your feet even in between showers if you don't shower really frequently, wear socks, if you sweat apply powder to your shoes to help absorb it instead of in to the shoe, spray your shoes with a deoderent/disinfectant (even just febreeze could help), and wash them in the washing machine or hand wash in the bathtub as needed.

·
Channel 13 Said Im A Punk
513 Posts
I guess I have smelly feet and im not ashamed to admit it. I like these pair of shoes so I dont want to throw them out.

I didnt google the issue because I want to guage your reactions to this instead.

What do you guys do when shoes start to smell? I've heard everything from washing them in the washing machine, using arm and hammer, using those odour eliminating orthotics.

I don't know what to do to get rid of the smell :( I'm pretty sure I have to do a combination of things.

What have you guys had success with?
Throw them away. Throw the shoes away when they stink. Throw the socks away. Throw them out when they smell bad. Nobody likes bad smells. Good for you that everything is disposable.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Throw them away. Throw the shoes away when they stink. Throw the socks away. Throw them out when they smell bad. Nobody likes bad smells. Good for you that everything is disposable.
Sorry but did I offend you in any way?

I sense a load of sarcasm emanating from your post.

The entire purpose of my post is so that I don't have to throw away my shoes. Its pretty clear I'm putting in a lot of effort into trying to get my shoes refreshed.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Baby powder.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
What about washing them with hot-boiling water?

or

BURN IT WITH FIRE!

(or not)
^^^this..... try adding vinegar with a bit of washing powder into a bucket of extremely hot water, so hot you can't touch it. Let your socks soak for a few hours then rinse well and add to your normal wash. Also try sprinkling a bit of baking powder into your shoes overnight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wear wool socks. They are anti-microbial so you can wear them forever and they won't smell. They make really thin ones too if your feet get to hot in them. I can wear the same pair of socks everyday for two weeks without washing them and they don't smell. I have a pair of shoes that I've have for 4 years now that I almost always wear with wool socks and they don't smell.

I've found, however, that once a pair of shoes starts to smell it is really hard to take care of. All the sandals I wear in the summer smell. Washing and scrubbing does not help, baking soda does not help. They just smell. I wear them anyway...

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I think they make sprays that are for this.

Don't throw them away. Shoes are expensive. Unless you're rich, you don't want to be throwing your shoes away!

·
banana enthusiast
7,055 Posts
I just wash them by hand like I'd wash a cat. I run them under the bathtub tap with hot water, put soap inside, rub it in, rinse it out, put Listerine inside and wash it out again. Then let them dry for 2 days. Works perfectly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts