Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shingles and the pain + itchiness is making me crazy! I can't even sleep for more than a few hours and even then It's only if the irritation dies down for a while. I have been given some aciclovir tablets but they don't seem to be helping at all.

Anyone else had this disease? If so, how did you get through it? What kind of treatment helped with the pain? I'm starting to get desperate here.

Things I've tried:

Painkillers: Doesn't help at all
Cold wet Cloth: Helps a bit
Antiseptic cream: Helps a bit

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Yeah.. shingles sucks... I only know what I've been taught in the classroom, but aciclovir is really the best treatment. There are other drugs that hit the zoster virus, but they have nastier side effects and probably would be even less effective. Valaciclovir and famciclovir are newer forms of the drug, and may be better, but like with aciclovir, they mainly just make it so outbreaks aren't as bad, and don't last as long. Calamine lotion might be worth trying to sooth the affected area though.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Try using Lidocaine spray or ointment, it should numb your skin completely so that you don't feel any pain on the applications sites.

·
SASsy
18,107 Posts
They say shingles is one of the most painful diseases there is. You can take anti-virals but they have to be taken early on to be effective. Basically, you just have to let it run it's course. Rest and take Tylenol for pain. Maybe an antihistamine for itching.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts