Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
related to social anxiety-

My examples: going to the bathroom for lunch.
-Purposely passing myself out in the nurse's office (kills brain cells, risk of death)
-Various food and medicinal poisoning methods, none that worked (to avoid a public speaking scenario, not in order to kill myself but I understood I risked that. It turns out the teacher let me do the scenario with her but I was too afraid to be told "No, you need to do it too.")
-Staying in the bathroom in a failed attempt to avoid getting a Shy award

Not related to social anxiety, but mental distress

-Attempting to (I'm not sure if it was me or a copycat, because the details didn't match with what I did) close the school down for a day or create chaos. Police cars came, but not much chaos happened.

I used a bomb note (I did not write as the person bombing, though)

Hope no one hates me for that, eh. I was desperate.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Oh god what is a Shy award? That sounds really, really cruel.

Anyway, I don't really remember too many terrible stories, but I'll share ones I can remember.

-In 9th grade, we had a really small cafeteria, and people from other grades would come all the time, so there weren't enough seats for everyone. I used to just skip lunch and go to the library, but some days it was closed, and then I had to try to sit somewhere, and always end up getting kicked out by whoever usually sat there. I couldn't sit in the hallways, as the teachers would yell at me and not seem to understand that THERE WERE NOT ENOUGH SEATS IN THE CAFETERIA.

-Having to ask teachers for letters of recommendation (for college) this year. This terrified me so much that I skipped school for like a week after I finally got the courage to do it to avoid having to see them again. I'm glad I finally did it though, I guess.

-My one teacher who, knowing I didn't like talking, thought it was amusing to ask me the most awkward possible questions whenever possible. He thought it was funny, but I hated it.

-My 10th grade chemistry teacher, who thought it was necessary to make me try to define what a solid, liquid, and gas were in front of the class, and then tell me every answer I gave was wrong. Then she made me do an experiment in front of the whole class, and when I went to get goggles, she hid from me behind the lab table. :/

Luckily I don't have anything too serious, but some of these events still bother me to this day (except the chemistry one, which I've started to find amusing somehow, but it terrified me at the time).

·
I'm done for a while.
935 Posts
Oh man, I'll guess I'll go for it too. I don't remember a lot of stories because I try to not think about them. I'll just go with what I think is the saddest one:

In the 9th grade, our Romanian teacher had us write essays(2-3 pages long) and then selected a few in class to read them out loud. I ****ing felt like I'm going to have a heart attack every single time he said "Who wants to read his essay?" so I started skipping that class for various reasons. On some days when our class was the first of day but I would still leave home at the right hour to prevent my parents from raising any questions but I had no idea what I'm supposed to do for a whole hour or two so I used to ride the bus for that time(taking the whole course two or three times), looking through the mirror and feeling depressed and disgusted with myself. Thank god he stopped doing this after 9th grade.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
related to social anxiety-

My examples: going to the bathroom for lunch.
-Purposely passing myself out in the nurse's office (kills brain cells, risk of death)
-Various food and medicinal poisoning methods, none that worked (to avoid a public speaking scenario, not in order to kill myself but I understood I risked that. It turns out the teacher let me do the scenario with her but I was too afraid to be told "No, you need to do it too.")

Not related to social anxiety, but mental distress

-Attempting to (I'm not sure if it was me or a copycat, because the details didn't match with what I did) close the school down for a day or create chaos. Police cars came, but not much chaos happened.

I used a bomb note (I did not write as the person bombing, though)

Hope no one hates me for that, eh. I was desperate.
jesus.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing useful in sad stories is getting courage to express anxiety in some way. Ive found a way to care less about the double edged sword of "everyone will know how anxious i am." in my desperate need to avoid certain situations. So in cases of rading an essay id let my Deer In Headlights look show or just mouth that i cant, at least (because I might not be able to talk xD).

I actually think this is a pretty important skill. If you skip it and focus on trying to feel less anxious doing the tasks themselves only, what if that doesnt work in time? You at least have something to fall back on - flaunting your weakness. Showing them how sadistic theyd be if they made you do the task at hand. So, try your hardest to stare frozen as an ice sculpture in front of the teacher staring at your desk and gripping it until your knuckles are white - or at least power walking out of the door! ;D (PS - i havent seen if i can apply any of these yet. I might end up mouthing like a fish out of fear of giving such a silent display.)

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
One thing useful in sad stories is getting courage to express anxiety in some way. Ive found a way to care less about the double edged sword of "everyone will know how anxious i am." in my desperate need to avoid certain situations. So in cases of rading an essay id let my Deer In Headlights look show or just mouth that i cant, at least (because I might not be able to talk xD).

I actually think this is a pretty important skill. If you skip it and focus on trying to feel less anxious doing the tasks themselves only, what if that doesnt work in time? You at least have something to fall back on - flaunting your weakness. Showing them how sadistic theyd be if they made you do the task at hand. So, try your hardest to stare frozen as an ice sculpture in front of the teacher staring at your desk and gripping it until your knuckles are white - or at least power walking out of the door! ;D (PS - i havent seen if i can apply any of these yet. I might end up mouthing like a fish out of fear of giving such a silent display.)
i like the idea of that a lot. rather than try to hide your anxiety but not be able to very well all the time, i think there is something to be said for appearing as psychologically incapable of talking as you feel, and getting yourself off the hook that way (by making your teacher see this and feel bad for you or not know how to handle you so not press you any further). you have to not care about seeming mentally ill and unstable. your self-worth can't be coming from how classmates and teachers are perceiving you, it has to come from other places. otherwise it will be devastating (and this is probably why this technique is not employed very often, since most people care a lot about not seeming so weak to everyone).

i tried this a handful of times in high school, or defaulted to it, and resisted talking. unfortunately i didn't have the seeming psychologically incapable thing down since my teachers misread me as being defiant rather than terrified :( (well, i was defiant, but i was defiant because i was terrified). those were the teachers that wouldn't back down, and the ones where my attempts to seem helpless were deflected.

did you read what the OP wrote? it's crazy what she did. and unfathomable to a normal person or even your average socially anxious person. i can't comprehend it.

·
Fooly Cooly
228 Posts
I was just made fun of and criticized a lot for my interests in my early teens. I'd rather not go into specifics.

None of it quite compares to the extremes you went through, OP. If you need to talk, send me a message.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i tried this a handful of times in high school, or defaulted to it, and resisted talking. unfortunately i didn't have the seeming psychologically incapable thing down since my teachers misread me as being defiant rather than terrified :( (well, i was defiant, but i was defiant because i was terrified). those were the teachers that wouldn't back down, and the ones where my attempts to seem helpless were deflected.

did you read what the OP wrote? it's crazy what she did. and unfathomable to a normal person or even your average socially anxious person. i can't comprehend it.
Is not xD. Okay, maybe it is. But I was just feeling really depressed in school for no particular reason, and I thought it would help.

As for the incapable thing... not quite what I was going for. Your classmates and teachers don't have to think your incapacitated, ffs. Just way too anxious to even talk. As for them thinking you are being defiant... you should try harder to look troubled. Bite your lip or something? Furrow your.. brow? I think that's what it's called doing... open your mouth, now that should definitely help. I don't mean go Ahhh... just open your mouth a bit so that you come across as *not being able to* speak rather than being defiant.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
Is not xD. Okay, maybe it is. But I was just feeling really depressed in school for no particular reason, and I thought it would help.
besides crazy it is also interesting and a fine example of courageous trouble-making (the bomb thing). the deliberate fainting seems sad since it indicates a lot of desperation (or if one wants to look at it in a less depressing light, unusual determination).
As for the incapable thing... not quite what I was going for. Your classmates and teachers don't have to think your incapacitated, ffs. Just way too anxious to even talk. As for them thinking you are being defiant... you should try harder to look troubled. Bite your lip or something? Furrow your.. brow? I think that's what it's called doing... open your mouth, now that should definitely help. I don't mean go Ahhh... just open your mouth a bit so that you come across as *not being able to* speak rather than being defiant.
yeah i didn't want to look way to anxious to talk (i was insecure about being perceived that way), so i ended up seeming difficult and resistant rather than earnest but anxious. so i think you are right, i was not doing exactly what you are imagining doing. those are nice tips. right now i don't have to deal with any participation i can't handle, and i may be out of the woods mostly of having to do the kind of thing that i would need to save myself from doing. I'm not sure i'm going to be taking any classes which require participation or presentations for a while.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure i'm going to be taking any classes which require participation or presentations for a while.
Okay enfield, I am still making frustrated and puzzled faces in my mind after reading your IQ post, and you just keeping showing there is no way in hell you are severely retarded. It's like you've never researched one lick what it means to be severely retarded, so any score you got you'd just shrug and think that's what it must mean to be severely retarded.

Stop making me pull my hair out.

Okay, I'm not, but still.

Anyway, as for the fainting, yes I was desperate.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
Okay enfield, I am still making frustrated and puzzled faces in my mind after reading your IQ post, and you just keeping showing there is no way in hell you are severely retarded. It's like you've never researched one lick what it means to be severely retarded, so any score you got you'd just shrug and think that's what it must mean to be severely retarded.

Stop making me pull my hair out.

Okay, I'm not, but still.

Anyway, as for the fainting, yes I was desperate.
no, you stop pulling your hair out over me and my incongruous IQ score. I am once again making puzzled and frustrated faces in my mind wondering how in the world you were so distressed over that post. it's like you never used one lick of common sense, so you'd just accept whatever IQ score you read i had, being blind to context, and shrug off whatever other indications you got from my posts.
:b

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not accept the score itself, but accept that you really scored that. tbh I didn't read the entire post (I was browsing through your posts and saw it.)
And it causes distress because I had questions on it xD and because I figured it was incorrect but you thought it was correct, which would be... well... incorrect. It wouldve passed once you were convinced that it was incorrect.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
Not accept the score itself, but accept that you really scored that. tbh I didn't read the entire post (I was browsing through your posts and saw it.)
And it causes distress because I had questions on it xD and because I figured it was incorrect but you thought it was correct, which would be... well... incorrect. It wouldve passed once you were convinced that it was incorrect.
i know what you mean. it would be disturbing to see someone think something so odd as that. even if it's like you say, and they have no conception of what being severely mentally retarded means or looks like, it would just feel wrong for them to think that when they clearly are not. i would have a strong impulse to inquire about it too. i know you accepted that i might have really scored, but you also accepted that i accepted that i scored that and accepted i was what the score indicated, which was the stranger thing to me (but you did find it strange yourself and tried to clarify by responding to numerous posts of mine).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah... now that I think of it, something would really have to be wrong with you to think you had an IQ of 67. But I guess I was too busy thinking hard to notice :D.

OOOH an edit button! Anyway, I responded to your visitor message on your own profile.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
Yeah... now that I think of it, something would really have to be wrong with you to think you had an IQ of 67. But I guess I was too busy thinking hard to notice :D.

OOOH an edit button! Anyway, I responded to your visitor message on your own profile.
you are rightfully excited (for once). the coveted edit function is really nice. there isn't even a time limit on it or anything like some other forums, and neither does it mark the post in some way to indicate that it's been edited, so it can be used freely without reserve (I have the habit of editing posts a lot, posting them half-done and the quickly finishing them, so i am really grateful for it).

·
Banned
104 Posts
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!! I can contribute to this thread

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...cide-attempt-was-genuine-but-it-wasnt-440193/
-I also eat (ate, because i'm dropping out of school soon) lunch in the bathroom

-I (use to) purposely overdose on sleeping pills and allergy medicine, to get my blood pressure extremely low and to get drowsy. (Story time-->) About 3 weeks ago, I wasn't in the mood for going to the anxiety/ocd program. I drank an entire half bottle of allergy medicine combined with 40 mg of my brother's ambien pills. It wasn't even a fake suicide attempt, I just didn't want to be awake. After sleeping for 15 hours, I woke up to go to the bathroom. When I got up from the toilet, I passed out and hit my head on the bathtub. My mom heard a loud thud and ran over to find out the source of the noise. She found my on the floor, and when she tried to pick me up, I passed out again. She called 911 and the paramedics had to drag me to the ambulance; I was extremely drowsy. The test they ran at the ER turned out fine, and I was allowed to go home. I never told them that I overdosed on sleeping pills because I didn't want to go back to the psych ward. But at least I got 2 days off from the anxiety/ocd program.

-I also (use to) poison myself by overdosing on laxatives to give myself diarrhea. I only did this during early sophomore year, and it always convinced my mom I was sick. It worked every time.

-If I can't come up with more tactics for avoidance, then I simply lock my door and put furniture in front of it to make sure it won't open. Ugh, I remember this one time when my mom was fed up with me ditching school, she kept banging on my door to get it to open. I didn't respond, so she probably thought I finally killed myself and started freaking out. She threatened to call police, but I still wouldn't open my door. My brother had to break my door knob and it practically broke my door in half. My door is still broken as we speak. Ugh, annoying...
:teeth We are professional avoiders, and we are good at what we do. Your tactics are genius.

Pfft. Casual. Get on our level.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well... I have had the following happen:

9th grade, I was an awkward mess lol (I'm much better now! still have problems though) but I befriended an 11th grader and developed a crush on her. She had a suave basketball star for a BF but 14 year old logic prevented me from taking note of that. I wrote her a love letter in 10th grade but she HATED it. She thought it was weird and inappropriate that I liked her.

For the next year, I was absolutely depressed about it and she let me know that I wasn't to her standard, that I was unattractive, that I was small, that I was dorky, and that I was weird.

Other than that... I've got:
Anytime I go into a public place near my house, I think I'll see someone I know and I get scared

I got all frozen up when I went to take the SAT that I dropped my glasses like Urkel lol. A girl went to pick them up and give them to me, I said thanks, and she just kinda smirked (did she like me?)

Anytime I flash something resembling a friendly smile to a girl because I always get dirty looks from girls no matter where I go.

Large gatherings are uncomfortable to me (weddings, graduations and awards ceremonies) as I never know who to talk to or how to insert myself into a conversation. Usually, I eat cake and drink lemonade... call it a night :p

Last summer, I went on a mission trip and it was awkward to say the least. I barely knew anyone on the trip so I had to overcome the barrier of not knowing them. Then, I thought a girl was talking to me but instead it was the guy behind me... awkward lol.
To cap it off, there was a girl who was kinda a "flirty boy toy" and she hit on almost every guy... except me. Actually, she gave me dirty looks when I acted remotely friendly with her.

On a weekend visit to a college I'm interested in for their film festival, I was freezing up around everyone. I got used to it, but I felt extremely low when the two girls on the trip were talking about "mingling" and they quickly passed me by for some schlub a few feet away. Eventually, me and this other guy who was visiting decided to talk to the two of them. He was DOA (they didn't give him a chance lol) but one of the girls actually showed interest in me. I tried to keep the conversation going but something made me pause and these girls had the attention span of a squirrel so they quickly ditched us. Real smooth of me lol

Anytime I get free time in class, I can't bring myself to start a conversation so I usually just read a book, study or sleep. I feel bad that I can't talk much though.

During lunch, I always feel so awkward because I just listen to everyone else talk while I usually just eat and gaze off at random girls around the room lol (dirty looks galore! :p)

One time, I had to do a PowerPoint in front of the whole class for History (10th grade), and I've never been more anxious in my life. They were all staring at me, and I kept stuttering my way through my explanation of "leisure in the colonies". She took points off and it made me feel worse :/

Other than that... I can't really think of specific instances

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
1 - 20 of 65 Posts