Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
I got the shaky hands (knees and legs too) and pounding heart prior to presentations. At times it felt like I was going to have a heart attack. It sounds like you are having anticipatory anxiety. I got that a lot too (sometimes months prior to a presentation).

Exercising is supposed to help when you have anticipatory anxiety. I've read that it burns off adrenaline and cortisol (anxiety and stress hormones). I never tried it because I always freeze up during times like that. Freezing up and sitting still is one of the worst things you can do because the adrenaline and cortisol build up.

Start preparing for it. Don't wait till the last minute like I used to do.

When it comes to making eye contact during your presentation, try looking at the wall behind your audience. If you can't make eye contact, don't worry about it. It is only one aspect of a presentation. I tried to make eye contact once with my audience and it felt like I was going to faint. So I stopped and just looked at the computer screen.

Just know that your speech doesn't have to be perfect. Just doing it is the important thing. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.