Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone get extremely shaky hands (trembling) and a heavy pounding heartbeat before public speaking? I of course get nervous for public speaking, but now with this crap presention coming up really noticed my physical symptoms. Though it is scary mentally, I can pretend not to be nervous, but I usually can't get rid of the shaky hands or the heartbeat that is ridiculously hard.

I have a presentation in about a week and a half and am freaking out. I actually tried to drop this class when I found out there were 2 presentations, but found out I was either going to take the class or have to pay back a chunk of my loan. The first presentation was okay since I just had to stand there while one person in the group talked, but this one I actually have to talk a bit and I have been freaking out for weeks. I also really can't do eye contact and I'm sure I'll look like a loser up there with the group.

It's really affecting everything. I'm a zombie at work and stress constantly about this. Does anybody else get this problem? Besides medicine, do you know of a way to stop these physical symptoms?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got the shaky hands (knees and legs too) and pounding heart prior to presentations. At times it felt like I was going to have a heart attack. It sounds like you are having anticipatory anxiety. I got that a lot too (sometimes months prior to a presentation).

Exercising is supposed to help when you have anticipatory anxiety. I've read that it burns off adrenaline and cortisol (anxiety and stress hormones). I never tried it because I always freeze up during times like that. Freezing up and sitting still is one of the worst things you can do because the adrenaline and cortisol build up.

Start preparing for it. Don't wait till the last minute like I used to do.

When it comes to making eye contact during your presentation, try looking at the wall behind your audience. If you can't make eye contact, don't worry about it. It is only one aspect of a presentation. I tried to make eye contact once with my audience and it felt like I was going to faint. So I stopped and just looked at the computer screen.

Just know that your speech doesn't have to be perfect. Just doing it is the important thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks everybody for your helpful replies. One thing that makes me nervous is that it is a group project and one of the members is putting us off schedule very badly. That aside, I will make sure to practice my part so that it may make me less nervous. Yeah, sometimes I'm doing okay and then if I make eye contact with someone who seems to be staring at me, I tend to freak out a bit.

Sabu, I haven't been diagnosed yet (although I was trying to see somebody soon since I seem to have various SA issues that have been around since I was a child), but I did hear that beta blockers helped with the physical symptoms. I just don't see myself having any by the time I present.

So, while I am making an appointment hopefully for next week, for now, I will take some of the advice in the replies.

Thanks all!

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
i usually have shaky hands when i'm doing something with them and i don't feel comfortable with what i'm doing. Usually get a pounding heart when i'm introduced to someone i don't know, see someone i know but don't talk to, job interview or presentation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post Presentation!!!

Oh, I haven't been here in a while...my computer died and I have to wait to get a new laptop...

Anyways for anybody wondering...I totally cheated before the presentation. I ended up taking a valium pill from a girl in my group who was also freaked out. It must have worked because I was pretty mellow and spoke good with no shakiness....Also I got compliments on my composure and speech so yeah...

Well, I'm now finind a psychiatrist because I met with a counselor who thought I would benefit from medication for my social issues.

Just glad that presentation is over and I totally signed up for online only classes for the summer semester.

Thanks all!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts