Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if there is medication that can help calm my nerves or stop my shaking. I went on beta blockers for a short time but it affected my athsma so I had to stop taking it. Is there anything else that works as well which doesn't have bad side effects.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would like some recommendations as well. Is propranolol prescribed for SA btw?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have head tremor that I think is more than a SA symptom. My head shakes when using a lot of force, being startled or exhausted, turning the head abruptly, etc., in addition to anxiety. 2 neurologist I met didn't diagnose me with any neurodisorder unfortunately. But it's definitely different from the tremor most social phobics experience.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
@Rushes: If the first beta blocker was Propanolol (Inderal) you might try the cardioselective Atenolol (Tenormin). It's less effective for SA, but doesn't affect asthma that much. Or you try a benzodiazepine like Xanax/Klonopin as needed.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Rushes: If the first beta blocker was Propanolol (Inderal) you might try the cardioselective Atenolol (Tenormin). It's less effective for SA, but doesn't affect asthma that much. Or you try a benzodiazepine like Xanax/Klonopin as needed.
My problem is that it takes a lot of convincing for a doctor to allow me on an axiety drug. I've only been on them for maybe 1 prescription, then that doctor would become reluctant to allow me another packet. Instead they just tell me that the situation is not as bad as I think it is. I am fully aware of that, but that doesn't stop the intense shaking or my heart pounding. Alternatively the recommend I read a book or go to therapy. I just want something to calm me down a little.

I went on benzodiazepine for a short while. It helped, but I only took them for a presentation. Not general social interaction.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Have you tried an SSRI like Lexapro/Zoloft... doctors give them out like candies.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Do you have these problems just in social situations or under stress?

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shake when i'm in social situations when I don't know too many people, and I shake when under stress. Generally it doesn't occur when i'm around the same group of people. But if somebody becomes confrontational for example, that would easily set off my shaking.

I looked up SSRI on wikipedia and have decided that the side effects are not worth the drug. I will just try to go back on benzodiazepine if thats possible.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
If it is just anxiety and nerves I would check about klonopin or alprazolam. Ask your doc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts