Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an under the table job delivering fliers for a storage company. It is a temporary position, and I started last Tuesday (5/19). It pays at a rate of $90/1000 fliers. I finished my first box of fliers (2300 in all) last Thursday and started on Tuesday afternoon. When I went back to the office on Friday to be paid, my boss gave me a check but said "I have to doubt you, honestly..." I finished my second box on Memorial Day and went to get my check on Tuesday, but he was unavailable. he called my later in the day and said that he did not believe that I could deliver 760 fliers per day on average. I told him all the streets that I did and which days I did them on, and also explained that I usually work starting at 6:30am and don't stop for about 8 hours. Since then, I have not been able to reach him. I called on Wednesday and my call was answered by a secretary, who said "Unfortunately, no one by the name of Jeff works at this office." This was as I'm holding the business card that reads "Jeff Hurley" with the address and phone number on it. WTF? On Thursday, I was answered by a different secretary who told me to give her my number and her supervisor would call me back in a few minutes. I never received a call back. On both of these days I e-mailed him after I could not speak to him, telling him what streets I did that day. He did not reply to either e-mail, and this morning I asked for his cell phone number rather than the office number. He finally answered with only the number and nothing else. I am going to call it later today, but can't help feel like this company is trying to cheat my out of my hard-earned money. How should I go about approaching this?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Yeah based on everything you said, that has bad news written all over it. You shouldn't be working "under the table". That's the first red flag that something was up.

I would probably go file a police report.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know if you have something like this out in Cali, but the local news stations here often have a consumer advocate-type segment on the news from time to time. Maybe you can tell your story to the news?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if you have something like this out in Cali, but the local news stations here often have a consumer advocate-type segment on the news from time to time. Maybe you can tell your story to the news?
Yeah, there is the "Turko Files" on one of the local stations. This is a good idea if the situation carries on. I went in earlier Today, and the secretary told me that he had jury duty and that he would call me later. I didn't ever sign a contract, but I have the empty boxes of fliers still in my car. I don't know how much proof is needed that I was working for them if I were take this to small claims court.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Did you receive any documentation regarding these deliveries? Unless you go back and can receive verification of these deliveries, it'd be hard to prove, especially since you wouldn't have given them any delivery confirmation nor would you retain a copy. It sounds like to me you got screwed sideways on Sunday and that's incredibly crappy.

I'd go to the office of the address to see if the physical location really exists, then attempt to talk this out with them. Although you gotta remember to handle this situation nicely or you'll look bad on all accounts, especially if you are going to take them to court. Go in there and ask, listen, I made these deliveries on these days, I want to get paid, why aren't you paying me, is there an issue?

If this doesn't go to any further, then I would consult a lawyer to see what you can do from a legal standpoint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am supposed to meet him at the warehouse this afternoon around two o'clock. He told me to bring my map so we could go over it. Nervous.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm glad to hear that!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts