Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've had SAD as long as I can remember. I'm able to hold a job, but it isn't easy. Even when talking to the most unintimidating, kind person it can be difficult and my discomfort is impossible to hide when the anxiety is severe. My voice gets husky and shaky, I have shortness of breath and when it's bad, I feel like I'm leaving my body.

I've tried many meds including Paxil, Celexa, Xanax, Ativan, Zoloft and Prozac, and I've had a lot of therapy, including hypnotherapy. Nothing helped at all. It causes me extreme frustration and embarassment and I wish I could find some treatment that might help me at least a little bit. It's so hard to live this way.

Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome Rob. I feel your pain as do many others here. Hopefully through this site you can find something to help you whether it is a type of medication, therapy, mindset, or just support which can make all the difference. :wels

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Rob, it's nice to meet you. I'm not even sure if I can hold a job yet, as I am only two weeks into my fast food job as a cashier. It's funny that I am doing two things that I never thought I could do: Work with people, and work with money (confidence issue, you know). Money is a touchy subject these days, and its never good to close the till when you owe someone ten bucks. Yup, I did that. Everyday I have an anxiety attack just before work stressing if I will get fired that day. But by the end of the day I am relieved and happy despite the "huge" mistakes I am positive I made. I tried taking Celexa, but it turns out I am in the percentage of people who get really baaaad symptoms from most medications for treating depression, anxiety and ADD. Mostly severe mood swings including violence (not cool lol) So I have been forced to be unmedicated, and having to do things the hard way. It helps me to verify the symptoms of social anxiety disorder on the Social Anxiety Institute website. I cried when the site reminded me that I am not crazy and that social anxiety is real. I haven't been able to get much help for it, and just found this site tonight and am already feeling better....but I know it's going to take a while before I beat it. I have also been to several "support" groups, but they were not for social anxiety which defeated the purpose. The groups are supposed to be cognitive-behavior support groups which slowly teaches you how to let go of the unreasonable anxieties and bring in a positive self-awareness. I am still looking for such a group in my area, and am going to invest in the Social Anxiety Institute's step by step program after getting past my first month of work and moving out of my brother's house to live on my own. It will be a nice change to walk confidently into a bank, grocery store, work, movie theaters and restaurants without criticizing myself a billion times first, picking myself apart before letting someone else do it. I guess I prepare myself for the worse so it doesn't hurt as much, but all I have done is kill my confidence. Well, I'm going to get it back. And I know you can too because neither one of us has given up despite the set backs. My heart goes out for you, me and everyone else who is trying and those who still need to work up the courage. God Bless and if you need anyone to rant to, I'm listening and just remember you are never alone in your struggles.

-Michelle

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Rob, welcome to :sas

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts