Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few days ago I had a job interview. I was hired pretty much on the spot. However, the job is a sales job, which I know isn't good for a person with SA. Once I found out I was hired, I was on the verge of panic and had to try as hard as I could to maintain my composure and say that yes, I want the job. It hasn't gotten any easier since then, and I haven't even started yet. Orientation is tomorrow.

I don't know what to do. The thought of a sales job terrifies me. To make it worse, literally as I was typing this I got a call for an interview for a housekeeping position at a hospital (a perfect SA job), and panicked and told them I already had a job. I don't even ****ing know why, I'm really anxious. I'm already regretting it.

I don't ****ing know what to do. I'm on the verge of panic. I'm trying to distract myself, but it's not working. I need a job and I'm trying so hard and I know I have to push myself, but I just don't think I can do sales, especially when half my pay would be commission, so I'd have to sell. Just doing the interview I felt like I had to escape and get out of there. But if I turn it down I have no idea when I'd get another offer (now that I stupidly ruined this hospital opportunity), and I'd feel like I'm just a leech on society for getting a job and then turning it down. I'm so angry, I wish I had gotten the call for the hospital job last week, then I wouldn't have ****ed it up.

My stomach is in knots right now and I can't even think straight. I haven't been this anxious in months. What the **** can I do??

·
Registered
488 Posts
What you can do right now is to let things happen.

You've already got hired, so why not just try the job and see how it goes ?

Whenever I was hired at a job that I didn't think I'd like, I always (well, not always but that's not the point) did my best to make it work.

Witan, don't chicken out, just smile to your boss and clients, and do the best you can. And even if you happen to hate this job, then what ? You can always quit.

But I suggest that you stick to this job the more you can, because we never know what we like before trying it out.

That reminds me of my aunt and of her daughter (she's 8 right now and her name's Chloé). When she was younger, her mother made her go to a lot of activities like piano, dancing, singing, Chinese classes and whatnot. Each time, she would tell Chloé to stick with it for one month, even if she didn't like it. And then after the first month, if she really didn't like an acitivity, she could drop it, no questions asked.

And so Chloé did just this, and she ended up falling in love with pretty much every activity, and now she's a super talented pianist and ballet dancer (and I'm not saying this because she's my little princess). And most important : she loves what she does.

You never know how you'll perform on a task before trying it, Witan. Stick with it long enough to be sure whether you can do it or not, and only then, make the decision to stay or not. Base your decision on facts, not on preconceptions.

Good luck !

·
Registered
171 Posts
congrats on the job. what are you doing to get so many call backs? noone ever calls me back. :( I applied for a housekeeping job in a hospital also... maybe I should try following up on them with it.

maybe you can call the hospital back and see if they'll take you in for an interview? then if the hospital hires you, just tell the sales job something better came up. It's worth a try, worst they can do is say no and then you can just try the sales job for awhile. I know it may come across as unprofessional bailing out on the sales job (or just giving them 2 weeks leave notice), but the sales job position will easily be filled again in no time since so many people are looking for jobs now.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
congrats on the job. what are you doing to get so many call backs? noone ever calls me back. :(
Thanks. I was in the same boat as you, getting no responses. That's why this hospital thing sucks, because I hadn't been getting any responses. I'd be too embarrassed to call them back.

I guess there is one ray of sunlight. I go to a mental health recovery center pretty regularly, and one of the workers there told me about a job with her husband's company that she worked at for a few years when she was going through some anxiety. It's taking forever to hear back, but she did recommend me personally, and the job would be perfect for me (office clerical). I made sure to send her an email telling her about how I found a job, but am still interested in the office job. Hopefully I'll hear back from that company.

EDIT: I fought through my anxiety, swallowed my pride, and did call the hospital back. I probably sounded like I was nuts or on drugs, but I did say that I wanted to change my answer to say that I was interested.

I hope they don't think I'm crazy or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Witan,
First of all congrats on calling the hospital back that is HUGE on your part. No matter what they thought or said the fact that you took that step for yourself is wonderful! Just wanted to tell ya your not alone literally for the last year I have been in a crazy anxiety driven battle with myself. I have gotten at least 40 interview offers and have either not responded, accepted and not showed up, accepted then turned down, went to the interview then turned around at the door or accepted a job and resigned on my second day. I tell ya it is so hard some days. I wish I could count on myself to follow through with things. In fact I had two interviews scheduled for today and one for tomorrow and accepted all and then emailed them within 24 hours and cancelled. Not good cause I know I'm burning bridges. How are you doing on your front? I see your post was a couple weeks ago...hope that your search is going well and thinking good thoughts for you! ((hugs)):)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.