Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you set daily goals in hopes of helping overcome your SA to a certain degree? Calling people on the phone is a great fear of mine. At work, it is usually easier to just send someone an email if I need to talk with them. Now I am setting goals like making myself use the phone oppose to email when possible. I would be interested in hearing some of your goals.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I try to force myself to do tings like that too. The phone was always a massive issue for me (and still is) and emailing or texting is still my preferred way to communicate. Facebook allows me to communicate and appear normal as that is how everyone uses it. I wish I could talk freely like that in real life conversations etc.

I do try to do things out of my comfort zone, eg accept a social invite (going is another matter however), or taking my stepdaughters shopping alone, however, these achivements aren't recognised by others and simply aren't a cause for congratulations by other peoples standards, which rather crushes the fact I did it in the first place if that makes sense?

Some days I feel more able that others. Some days at work, once I started using the phone, I would get on a roll and keep doing it feeling really pleased with myself, however, next day, back to ignoring calls, leaving my desk when the hone rang, or just sticking it on voicemail and not picking up the messages (blame the phone for a fault usually!). I'm the same socially - some days I'm better than others generally which doesn't help in trying to explain my problems as it is so unpredictable :um

·
Banned
497 Posts
Do you set daily goals in hopes of helping overcome your SA to a certain degree? Calling people on the phone is a great fear of mine. At work, it is usually easier to just send someone an email if I need to talk with them. Now I am setting goals like making myself use the phone oppose to email when possible. I would be interested in hearing some of your goals.
yes .

i set goals for a certain area of sa then break it down into steps (or dailly goals if you like).

for example i might decide that to start with i want to get rid of all of my safety behaviours so i would set the goal of ''to be completely confortable letting my anxiety show in any sitaution by 30th december 2009 '' (very important to set goals in the positive and give them a time frame )

then i would work out the steps e.g 1st stop avoiding the canteen in work. once ive completed that move onto the niext step whcih is harder and might be go the barbers at 4pm instead of 8am when its quiet. after that maybe blush intentionally infront of people etc.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts