Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started sertraline 25mg a few weeks ago but have now stopped, mainly because I have forgotten to take it! I noticed its effect a few hours after taking it. It made me talkative, giggly, and more relaxed.

I took it for about 5 days total. During that time I felt great but actually achieved nothing in terms of studying/getting things done.

Does sertraline make you lazy and does this side effect decrease with time?

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
5 days is not nearly enough to see how sertraline will affect you. And 25mg is a really low dose. Give it about a month.

I like sertraline because the side effects were pretty much non-existent for me, even at the "maximum" dose of 200mg/day. Unfortunately, it didn't help with mood at all, although I did note a SLIGHT decrease in anxiety, but not nearly enough. Needless to say, I'm not taking it anymore.

As for whether it will make you lazy, some people find that it does. Other people find the relief it gives them from their depression and anxiety makes them feel motivated and more confident. It's impossible to say how it will affect YOU once your blood levels plateau, but it's worth a shot. Sertraline is one of those medications that you are very lucky if it works, because nearly everything else has, in general, worse side effects.

I strongly recommend that you get back on a routine for it. The 5 days is not nearly enough time to start working properly, you should give it at least a month. I forget to take meds all the time too, and it really helps to have one of those pill organizers to avoid confusion. For instance, when I was taking sertraline 200mg, if I didn't put them in my pill organizer ahead of time, I'd sometimes be unsure whether or not I had already taken the medication, and to play it safe I'd end up skipping that day because 400mg is way too much to take.

However, if you're looking for a boost in your ability to study and get things done, an SSRI might not be your best bet. It's impossible for me to discern though, because there are so many things to take into account that only a lengthy psych evaluation could really even begin to understand it. Hopefully you're seeing an actual psychiatrist, and make sure they understand not just your problems, but your goals for your treatment as well, in order to help them determine the best way to achieve those goals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts