Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing?
why are doctors so pro seroquel when it wears off just as quickly if not more quickly than a benzo in terms of sedating effects.
I find I need more and more and more to sleep or feel calm on it :mum

The ironic thing is before getting pregnant I did not need them nor did I want them but now they are the only thing that stops me killing myself or harming the baby :( I wish I did not need them but I find they just keep me sane but the sedation is not as potent, its barely non existent now but the appetite is still there which I do not mind since being pregnant you need to eat also they are actually (this may sound strange) keeping my baby nourished as without them I CANNOT eat and I throw up twice a day due to stress now the morning sickness has gone, its all stress and possible preeclampsia related and seroquel stop the vomiting and help me eat and baby is healthy and kicking and has no deformations whatsoever

the question is, do these pills build up in your system?
Why not take a benzo instead? I mean in general not now but compared to the tolerance that comes with seroquel, its not that much different to that of clonazepam or lorazepam

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Usually seroquel tolerance does not build that quickly. I took 50mg for years and I have extreme insomnia with usually fast tolerance. Seroquel also usually lasts much longer than a benzo. Most people still feel sedated the next morning and feeling sedated constantly is probably the most common reason people stop taking it. You can get seroquel xr but I find the xr versions of things are not as useful for insomnia because I don't get that initial kick which helps me fall asleep. I end up having to stack a fast acting benzo on top or I stay awake just too drugged to do much of anything. I did find lunesta and seroquel sometimes interact making the seroquel hit twice as hard. Passed out half on the bed, still clothed, with the lights on for 12hrs the first night I put lunesta and seroquel together. :lol

I don't get anywhere near that effect now but it's been years. I've worked my way up to 200mg of seroquel and double the standard dose of lunesta, then put a tricyclic on top of it about a year ago, and even that's starting to fail. Rotating mirtazapine and amitriptyline plus the seroquel and lunesta did work for several months and I initially also went through trazadone periodically instead but I suddenly started having side effects that felt like a horrible cold everytime I took it. I have a couple days of not feeling great when I flip from amitriptyline to mirtazapine or back again and then it usually works but now I'm having to scale the dose up very quickly and losing effect within the month now instead of over several months.

After much complaining, refusing to take 200mg of seroquel anymore due to the long term and short time side effects, and therefore throwing myself in to major sleep deprivation I managed to convince/force my psychiatrist to let me try quazepam which was mentioned in another insomnia thread on here. Unfortunately no pharmacy within 50miles had any so I'm currently waiting on an email that they got my shipment in today since this is the last day pharmacies here are open for awhile. That experiment is pending.

It also can help to get something like ambien cr or a slower acting benzo and take it in the evening or I even take them in the late afternoon if I'm feeling bad. Ambien actually makes me a little energetic when it first kicks in and then a little high when it hits it's peak. By the time it hits full effect and you put the seroquel and whatever else on top of that it's usually easier to sleep with better sleep. However tolerance to ambien happens extremely quickly in most cases (about 3 days for me and I could take 3 of the max dose pills with no effect) making it something you can only use for a couple days or occasionally and tolerance to benzos usually builds much much faster than seroquel so even those become useless quickly in most cases. Even more so when talking about insomnia than anxiety since a higher dose is usually needed. There are exceptions and everyone responds differently not only to benzos but to each benzo. A benzo known for helping sleep might do nothing and then another knocks you out. It's hard to tell until you start trying them.

Most benzos are bad for sleep quality. Quazepam and midazolam seem to be the only exceptions I can find and they are hard if not impossible in the case of the 2nd to get. Midazolam is one of those few benzos you could kill yourself with so generally only used in hospitals. They don't destroy the sleep structure though like most benzos. Benzos tend to cause less delta wave sleep which is the most useful and restful with micro awakenings. Micro awakenings are when your brain spikes from deep sleep to barely asleep and back again. Frequent lucid dreaming along with waking up tired can be a sign of micro awakenings. I can always tell when something has set that off all night because I remember a lot of dreams and I wake up feeling worse than when I went to bed.

That and quick tolerance plus addiction risk for many is why you would use seroquel for long term insomnia instead of benzos. It's not always a problem for everyone since some people's brains can counter the benzos and maintain sleep quality while the benzo gets them to sleep or keeps them from waking up all the way and some people's brains (like mine) just crash and can't maintain quality sleep at all on benzos. Some people's brains don't build fast tolerance to benzos while others find them useless within days. It's a gamble when you play with psychiatric medicine.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I found complete tolerance occurred to Seroquel's sedating effects after about 2 months of nightly use. I started off at 50mg and went up to 400mg a night of Seroquel IR. It worked great at first but failed to make me the least bit tired not too long after. Seroquel XR 150mg, didn't sedate me much either.

There is no good long term treatment for insomnia, you gotta just keep rotating to different medications once you gain tolerance to the one you are on currently. I usually rotate between Hydroxyzine, Zopiclone, Klonopin, and if I REALLY REALLY can't sleep, Midazolam.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't think tolerance builds but rather that you get "used to it". That is how people tolerate such high doses of the med without being knocked out for days at a time.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I don't think tolerance builds but rather that you get "used to it". That is how people tolerate such high doses of the med without being knocked out for days at a time.
What is the phrase "used to it" supposed to mean? lol

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
totally reverse for me, the stuff is like slipping into a slow motion movie

·
Registered
513 Posts
What is the phrase "used to it" supposed to mean? lol
If someone who has never taken Seroquel takes, say 50-100mg, it will most likely knock them out. Yet some people take 400mg. or more daily and they are able to function. Their body has gotten used to the presence of the drug. This does not mean they need more and more of the drug to get the same effect (tolerance). Does that make sense? :sus

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
If someone who has never taken Seroquel takes, say 50-100mg, it will most likely knock them out. Yet some people take 400mg. or more daily and they are able to function. Their body has gotten used to the presence of the drug. This does not mean they need more and more of the drug to get the same effect (tolerance). Does that make sense? :sus
No it doesn't. Its possible to become tolerant to certain effects of a drug without yet being tolerant to all the effects of the drug. The user is not simply getting used to sleeping all day long and simply just stops reporting that he/she is doing so.

A higher dose would be required to enable the same effect that one has got tolerant to at a particular dose. Each effect of the drug does not increase linear in tolerance necessarily. This may mean that previously it took 400mg to sedate someone, and now it may take 1400mg to achieve the same effect. This new dosage may not be practical nor safe to consume.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yeah I was prescribed seroquel years ago to help me sleep, built a tolerance to the sleepiness effect after a few weeks. Of course, don't think the primary use of the med is to help with insomnia.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone else felt like they built a tolerance to its effects on depression? I'm on Seroquel XR 150mg. I've been taking it for a couple years. At first my depression almost vanished, but now I'm back to crying myself to sleep each night. It could just be due to lots of stress in my life right now. I dunno.

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone else felt like they built a tolerance to its effects on depression? I'm on Seroquel XR 150mg. I've been taking it for a couple years. At first my depression almost vanished, but now I'm back to crying myself to sleep each night. It could just be due to lots of stress in my life right now. I dunno.
Yeah I found that too, not only did it stop helping with my sleep, it also does not ease or sedate the depressive thoughts and suicidal tendencies that it was prescribed for however withdrawal right now would only make me vomit even more than I am already doing so I guess its a matter of slowly tapering off week by week or month by month slowly.

Benzos and other ADs seem to work better for depression and SA but seroquel did at first help anxiety but it seems I am not the only one who has developed a tolerance.

Yes at first 25mg was enough to knock me out and keep me sedated but that was back in 2006 when I was taking paxil as well....

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
wouldn't a drug like that make you even more crazier when coming off of it? i took it one day for sleep it felt like my flesh was peeling off my bone's i could barely even move

·
Ying&Yang
685 Posts
The only question i have if any if have came off of seroquel are you guys able to
SLeep without It or any meds in your system? I came off of it recently and i had no sleeping problems prior to this i was mostly given this due to i couldnt sleep after i wad.given some steroids (which if you know make you not sleep). Im mainly asking this cuz its been a couple of days,n my sleep cycle is kinda wack:/

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The only question i have if any if have came off of seroquel are you guys able to
SLeep without It or any meds in your system? I came off of it recently and i had no sleeping problems prior to this i was mostly given this due to i couldnt sleep after i wad.given some steroids (which if you know make you not sleep). Im mainly asking this cuz its been a couple of days,n my sleep cycle is kinda wack:/
Yes, I've had trouble with rebound insomnia when stopping seroquel, I'm stuck at the lowest dose at the moment because it's hard to sleep when I stop. With that said I'm an insomniac anyway so it might be more me than the drug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts