Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i went to a walk in clinic to get ativan and the doctor also upped my celexa to 40mg and gave me seroquel.. isnt that a bit much considering i have social phobia and not schizophrenia etc.. and he didnt ask me any questions, he just said i looked nervous and asked if iam.. never asked what i had.. also i have really severe anxiety and stuff and when i do take ativan its rare, but it does make me feel more normal and be able to function which i cant do in most areas of my life and i need better medication but doctors dont listen.. i asked this one if there was something like ativan i could take everyday and he said no.. but i read on here that other people are taking ativan or other meds like it daily to help them function..instead he wants to take me off ativan which isnt needed or going to happen..lol 10 pills lasts me 5 monthes. but i feel sick with anxiety everyday and need to either take it more or take something other then just a ssri because its not helping me enough.. how do i get a doctor to understand? i know i have to learn to deal with some anxiety and just get used to it but i feel so physically bad and shakey and nervous and i avoid all social things and i cant get proper help.. or maybe there is no help.. the amount of anxiety i have isnt manageable on just ssri's and an ativan 1-2 times a month..it interferes or makes me terribley uncomfortable and avoid things everyday of the month..not just 1 or 2 times as needed..sorry thats kind of rambling.. =p

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I was put on Seroquel before in the hospital. Stuff knocks you out haha. I was put on it for a sleep aid though but it certainly calmed my nerves a bit when I took it.

Hopefully the increase in celexa will help you feel a bit better, although it will probably take a week or two for you to feel the full effect.

Good luck!

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Seroquel is an antipsychotic. I've never taken it but I understand it's used as a sleep aid and to help those with severe anxiety. Maybe it'll help you. You can try it and see. I've heard people can sleep 16, 18 hours or more on that stuff.

Good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankfully i generally sleep too much anyways so i wont notice..lol the doctor asked me if i was sleeping too much and i said yes.. so all the more weird he gave me seroquel if it also makes you sleep too much. i shall give it a try though and see how it goes. even though when he said seroquel i was like =0 suprise faced since i know generally its for schizophrenia.. the doctor was like oh youve heard of it? and i just said yeah.. i heard it makes you sleep lots.. but really i was thinking eh thats for schizophrenia....

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
He probably thinks you need something stronger than the Ativan.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Seroquel XR has good ratins for anxiety, however as an antipsychotic it can have bad long term side effects.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
.. how do i get a doctor to understand?
That's a tough one. I'm thinking busting his knee caps with a baseball bat might put him in a position where he's really ready to listen, but sadly that's illegal and perhaps ethically questionable as well. Though it's about what some of these jerks deserve.

Seroquel will make most people very drowsy. You won't be nervous while sleeping for the next 15 hours. Not exactly my concept of an "anti-anxiety" drug. It's like tossing you in a cage with a really hungry tiger -- you'll totally forget you have SA while wondering if this hungry cat will have you for dinner, so threat of death by wild beast will also get rid of SA.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts

·
Harvestor Of Sorrow
5,727 Posts
I have been on Seroquel for about 5 years now. I started off at 25 mg and gone as high as 400 mg. This drug has had no benefit in reducing my anxiety. Yes it is good for sleep, that's for sure. This is definitely a drug you want to take in the evening. Unfortunately, I have build up a tolerance to the drug, hence the 400 mg. This drug will make you eat constantly. Luckily I have a high metabolism so I have not gained any weight. But it is something to look out for if you are concerned about weight gain.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How many mg of seroquel did he give you?

I started taking 25mg of seroquel at night a few months ago, and it knocked me out cold for the night (even after a day on amphetamines and my whole cocktail). I recently reduced it to 12.5mg and it still puts me out for the night.

To my understanding at lower doses (under 100mg) it works mostly as an antihistamine and binds to those receptors. So it's great as a sleep aid and doesn't seem to have the potential tolerance issues that the benzos have (for me anyways - YMMV of course). But clearly you don't need a sleep aid, so lower doses will only make you more drowsy and tired if taken at night.

At higher doses it may work on anxiety (never tried it myself), but would not be my first choice due to the laundry list of potential side effects.

Benzos like ativan are fine if taken PRN as needed, but are not recommended for long term usage due to tolerance issues.

Hopefully the 40mg celexa will help somewhat - there are other options as well:

1. A different SSRI or SNRI that is helpful with anxiety
2. Propranalol (inderal) as it's a beta blocker and will block the physical anxiety symptoms
3. Clonidine/guanfacine which blocks norepinephrine and can be calming
4. Lyrica or Gabapentin (off label - but can be effective for GAD in some - it may have tolerance issues though and higher side effect profile, so not sure about this one).
5. Natural supplements like l-theanine, valerian root, passion flower, B vitamins, magnesium
6. Mindfulness meditation, deep breathing exercises, CBT, cardio (if possible)

Keep in mind that anti depressants can take up to 4-6 weeks until things stabilize and you get a proper "read" on whether they're helping or not.

Also it may take time until you find what medication(s) work best for you, but try to stay positive and open minded. It took me a long time of trial and error until I found a regimen that works for me, but it was worth all the effort !!!

Hope that helps and best of luck !!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The company hands out seroquel sample packs like candy to the psychiatrists and even to general practitioners. Since these packs go up to 200mg, which is supposedly the standard dose, every doctor inexperienced in psychiatric medicine and a few who just don't care try to put everyone on 200mg. It ends badly. Most can't tolerate over 25mg without sleeping constantly until they have spent months or possibly years building up resistance. I actually spent 2 years just finishing off the sample packs one psychiatrist gave me because I was cutting the higher dose pills down to 25-50mg.

At low dose I wouldn't be too concerned about taking it. It's just a really strong antihistamine then and the worst thing that happens is you sleep too long. If however you have to get near or above the standard dose there are a lot of side effects you don't want to touch. Not worth it unless nothing else works.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
To the OP: You didn't get Ativan most likely cause you went to a walk-in-clinic. They usually are extremely "scheduled medication" phobes. Try getting yourself at least a family doctor if you are an ongoing patient, if not a psychiatrist, to get some benzo scripts, living in Canada.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
My brother used to know how to avoid anxiety & all the other problems of life. Before he stopped drinking last year he was up to an average of a liter of whiskey a day. Combine that with 400 mg of Seroquel and his day would consist of sleep, drink, get up to pee & drink some more...repeat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts