Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an issue I rarely talk about. I haven't even mentioned it on this site before because I'm so embarrassed about it, even though it's a big part of my life. I feel awkward mentioning it even though I have the privacy of being online, but here it goes.

My hair doesn't grow. When I was fifteen, I noticed my hair was going thin. By the time I was seventeen, I had a bald patch. By the time I was eighteen, it was only growing in patches and hardly at all on top. So since then I've been shaving it off.

I'm not bad looking if I had hair, but without it I feel like a piece of poop. The awkwardness of being so young too, I skip many classes because I'm ashamed of myself. I often only feel comfortable with a hat on.

This isn't the cause of my SA, I had SA long before these follicular trials began, but they none the less served to compound my SA. For someone so painfully shy to have this happen was kind of the final nail in my coffin.

There's nothing that can be done about, any medical intervention is too expensive, but I just felt like getting it off my chest. I've only ever told my therapist about how this has affected me, but she didn't seem to recognise how I felt. She just shrugged it off and said "your'e good looking and loads of guys shave their heads." Yeah right!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I've been going to a gym to try and bulk up a little. But I get intimidated by the massive muscle coated black guys that dwell within. I'm sure they're very nice people but they look very angry all the time :hide

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never looked at a bald guy (young or old) and thought "that guy looks weird bald". It's just a normal thing to everyone else, it's definitely all in your head.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^Thanks. Maybe be I could grow to like it as I grow older. But I fear that all the teasing at school because of it has done irreparable damage to my confidence, which was rather non-existent already.

I need to learn to be less mindful of it when I'm out of the house, and less mindful of myself in general for that matter.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
One of my coworkers is bald, shaves his head often I presume and he looks normal like that. I also had a coworker a few years ago who was balding and I didn't think he looked strange or anything. Both guys were under 25.

I'm 24 and I wish my hair just grew slower, like much slower. I have to cut it like every two weeks or it gets too long for me, although most times I get lazy and wait 3. I love having my hair short, like a buzz cut, bald on the side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts