Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm starting my senior year of high school at the beginning of august. senior year is supposed to be fun, and our school system gives seniors a lot of privileges to make it more special, but i'm worried that i won't improve with my anxiety enough to really enjoy it the way i want to. so my question is this: what was your senior year like? did you manage to enjoy it? how did you do that? and what advice would you give me about making the most of my senior year?

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Senior year was probably my best year of school. It was an exciting time in my life. I managed to come out of my shell a bit, mainly due to the fact that I lost 80+ pounds the spring and summer before, which boosted my confidence a lot. I still didn't manage to make any real friends, but I did hang out with people after school and engaged in conversation with other students more. I also managed to get my first (and only, unfortunately) girlfriend.

As for how you can go about enjoying your senior year, hmm.... The only thing I can tell you to do is try and get to know your fellow students more. Just have fun, go to parties and stuff. Of course, I realize all of this is very difficult with SA, but I believe you can do it if you have the willpower and desire.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I'd say despite my SA my senior year was the best of all my years of HS. I think part of the reason was that everyone I went to school with seemed to mature a lot by senior year and sort of accepted me more readily. Also, I had made some close friends by senior year and started to do a lot of social things like go to rock shows and even went to a few parties. I don't know why exactly things changed and got better senior year but somehow they did- I think I had planted the seeds for change in the year before and made some social bonds that year that carried over into senior year. Also just be able to open up more and make use of those opportunities to create bonds with people.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
senior year was better, mainly because all the real work is done the first three years and the workload for seniors was the least, other than that I went through it like any other school year, I wasn't aware of any opportunities if there was any.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Senior year was definitely my best too - granted, that ain't saying much.

I had 3 AP classes, but I also had early release every day (in lieu of study hall or electives), so I was always home by 2pm. Hard to argue with that.

Even though my anxiety level didn't change much, I also experienced the phenomenon of people acting just a bit more mature, to the point where I would occasionally socialize outside of class and actually enjoy it - plus, I was fairly social at school/in classes and had a decent group of friends for the first time in awhile.

Good luck, and try to enjoy it as much as possible. Approaching the day when you're free from the dreadfully artificial, forced environment of K-12 might just be the most liberating feeling our type experiences in this society.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
What kind of special privileges do you get?

While my last year was pretty horrible (mostly unrelated to school), I found that the teachers finally started to treat us like adults.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
exemptions from all our exams if we keep our grades up and aren't late to school or miss more than 3 days, get to eat lunch outside, have special senior events, get priority for class registration... um... might be some other stuff.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Senior year was a joke from the academic perspective on my end. Once you were accepted into college nothing really mattered anymore in terms of classes. They try to give you that horse s*** about people failing and having their acceptance revoked. 99 percent of that is complete lies to make sure students keep coming to classes. I had three AP classes as well that I put ZERO effort in and my teachers still gave me passing grades as they knew it basically didn't matter. Of course, that is different if you want to do well on AP exams and get college credit. Although, that is a bunch of horse s*** as well since you have to do exceptionally well to get any credit and in most cases they will give you some neglible credit and still force you to take the class you got a 5 in on your AP exam.

In terms of socializing, it was much more free and less anxiety producing as previous years, but eventually the anxiety peaked around prom season (and as a result, I did not go...I don't think I missed anything special anyway...). Most students mature very quickly in their senior years, as they realize they have been accepted into college and feel a certain responsibilty to maintain a high level of maturity.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
Like everyone else senior year was the best for me. It was the only year that I actually made some friends. We didn't get any special privileges except during the last couple weeks where it was more lenient.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I am approching my senior year this year too. I hope it is as good as everyone says it will be :) I would like just one year of high school to actually be enjoyable.

I'm also taking three A.P. classes this year, but I took 4 last year and with a study hall, A.P. classes are not too bad. My A.P. English teacher hardly ever gave us homework (but we did have to write a lot of essays in class).

Good luck on your senior year Tigerlilly. I am so excited about graduation!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
jr year was the best for me. For some reason that was my year to shine. Senior year I was depressed and pretty much hated the world. Everyone says high school are the best years of your life and you only get one senior year. The way I look at it is you only get one 2009 and one 2010 and so on...

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
My senior year is coming up too. So far, my sophmore was the best and this past year sucked for me. I guess senior year can't be any worse than this past year though.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I hated every second of high school so saying that senior year was the best isn't much coming from me. My school was on the block system so we were able to get ahead. By senior year I had so many credits that all I needed to take was English 4. I didn't know what to take so I ended up with a bunch of AP classes, more Spanish classes (because I love that language~), and random electives. I actually told the school I had a job second semester and they let me not have a 4th period at all. It was great. I got to go home early and didn't have to worry about all the crowds in the parking lot!

Anyway, in terms of everything else my senior year was pretty lame. We had tons of events, but I'd skip them all because of my anxiety. I finally drove to school so I would skip pep rallies. My school has a 'senior picnic' where all the seniors get to go to the pool next to our school and play games and eat food and basically not go to class. My only friend wasn't there that week (I don't remember why...) so I was too afraid to go and went to my classes instead. Our school even won a contest from the local country station to have Taylor Swift perform at our school. Did I go? No.

Anyway, I'm probably the worst to ask about how to make your senior year better. You sound like you'll have a lot of hard class so try and not stress yourself out too much. If an event does come up (prom, picnics, whatever your school has), then try and push yourself to go. You may regret not going to everything like I did!

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(i'm terrified of prom. i can't dance. and i would've gone to my junior prom anyway, but nobody asked me. i don't want to go to senior prom alone, but i don't want to miss it either because it only happens once.)

last night i had a nightmare about my senior year. i dreamed it was the first day of class. my first two classes went well, but then i got to 3rd block and my teacher had a pet bear that attacked me. and then i went to 4th block--i'd signed up for musical theatre so i could help build sets and make costumes and stuff-- and the teacher wouldn't let me just do behind-the-scenes stuff, she was going to make me perform. o_O'

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
(i'm terrified of prom. i can't dance. and i would've gone to my junior prom anyway, but nobody asked me. i don't want to go to senior prom alone, but i don't want to miss it either because it only happens once.)
then again Tuesday June 23rd 2009 only happens once.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
then again Tuesday June 23rd 2009 only happens once.
it's different though. june 23rd is just another day. senior prom is a night you remember the rest of your life. it's something people still reminisce about at the 30 year class reunion. i want to go to prom and enjoy it, and remember it when i'm 50.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
it's different though. june 23rd is just another day. senior prom is a night you remember the rest of your life. it's something people still reminisce about at the 30 year class reunion. i want to go to prom and enjoy it, and remember it when i'm 50.
From what i heard from my peers who went to prom it isn't what it seems. Its just like a school dance except you take more pictures. I'm not to sure you'll remember it when your 50 because I would hope you'll have more memorable experiences then just getting dressed up to go dancing. The whole thing seems kinda egotisical to me atleast. Hopefully you do have a good time tho when the time comes. Take pictures you won't regret 30 years later lol.

·
Registered
619 Posts
From what i heard from my peers who went to prom it isn't what it seems. Its just like a school dance except you take more pictures. I'm not to sure you'll remember it when your 50 because I would hope you'll have more memorable experiences then just getting dressed up to go dancing. The whole thing seems kinda egotisical to me atleast. Hopefully you do have a good time tho when the time comes. Take pictures you won't regret 30 years later lol.
Seems the same way to me. I didn't go to junior prom and have no interest in going to senior prom. To me, spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars that I don't have for one event that I don't want to go to is the most ridiculuos idea ever. That's just me, though. If it makes everyone else happy to blow their bank accounts to dress up like a princess for one night, go for it! I hope you have a great time:), it's just not my kind of thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts