Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever received any gifts or items from people you have only knew from online? I do know people who are in pretense online only long distance relationships do this all the time. It might be from a long time friend you have known online for years, or a random gift from a secret admirer...

·
Spirit of Vengeance
5,301 Posts
I've posted on this other forum for a long time and one time this other poster sent me 3-4 books that he thought I would enjoy because we talked about a certain genre.

This other person offered to let me borrow her DVD collection of a certain actor but I declined. I would have definitely shipped them back to her though.

·
slave
4,382 Posts
I've gotten a book and a letter from one online friend. In return I sent her two books and a letter. From another friend, every year she would send me a card or a book from my Amazon wishlist for my birthday until we eventually met up in real life. I sent her some things also. And...last year I sent a SASer a memoir along with a letter and a bookmark.

Out of all the three listed I only talk to one of them occasionally now. Though I will say I still keep the items given to me by all of them close to me and am forever grateful that they even thought of me. I forever appreciate the sentiment.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have sent and received postcards from online friends when traveling. One time someone sent me a thank you card for helping them with a computer problem. That was nice.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yep, twice, from two lady friends.

One that lived in another city and another one from another country. They were both quite sweet and I certainly appreciated the gestures, even if I couldn't reciprocate as my SAD was so bad back then that even sending a package proved too much for me : P.

·
SAS Member
1,817 Posts
A CD-rom game "Roller Coaster Tycoon" I sent to a guy on another forum after he divulged his address to me and also a video "Carve Her Name With Pride" to a woman on yet another forum after she divulgrd her address too

Best way is through PO/mail Boxes. In uk you rent them whereas in places like Canada everybody has a mailbox at their local post office as Canada and some other countries do not undertake deliveries to your door whereas in uk we have our mail delivered to our house

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just recently actually and it restored my faith in humanity.

I was gifted a game by an online friend that I've barely spoken to before. I had asked him about it since he already owned it. I decided not to bother buying it and then afew hours later he bought it and gifted it to me. I was only a few quid or bucks to our American friends, but still, I was shocked!

·
uggla
10,065 Posts
Yes. I got a pillow from a guy I had an online-relationship-esque-thing with(it makes me sad to see it now). I've a female friend who I used to play an mmorpg with who still sends me christmas cards with little gifts(she's the sweetest person I've ever met). Once I got the most awesome gift from another gaming friend. He sent me a big box with Scottish crisps and candy, a ninja key chain, burnt dvds with good tv-shows, movies and anime, a shirt and a long letter(I sent him a gift, too). I was completely blown away when it arrived. ****. I miss him. He was so nice. Why am I so bad at keeping in contact with people? I hate myself.

·
6,040 Posts
Sure. Diamonds!

In an online game that is :p.

I wanted to send a Tatty Teddy bear and a few other stuff at some point. That person was a big fan of that teddy bear. Because of various circumstances, that has never happened in the end. :|

Oh, I forgot. I did send some ecards. Does that count? Probably not.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Postcards, letters, and wedding invites mostly. This guy burned Johnny Quest and sent it to me. This one chick sent me pjs for my bday. Oh and a few zines. All people I've only known online. We don't really talk anymore though.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Kesker and I exchanged Christmas gifts in 2013. I also sent something for his wife.

Dying Note sent me her beautiful handmade jewelry. I still need to send her something. :heart

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wait, do people on this site usually get gifts from people online? Well, now I feel bad... Oh well. I'll get over it.
No, it's probably not common here. The reasons why someone might give someone else a gift from SAS, or any online arena, are in situations such that:

-They are in a pretense online only romantic relationship

-They have chatted with each other for a while and made friends with them online

-They are trying to give them a gift for ulterior pretenses, expecting something in return, be it material or physical.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts