Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I have no heart!!
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about the statement the pharmecuetical companies sell sickness to promote thier drugs? For instance, "oh you are really shy, well thats not normal, we can help you with that". Do you think most of us are just simply really shy and thats all?

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
It's up to the individual to produce original/truthful thoughts about how they're feeling. Just like any other kind of advertising in my opinion. Think you're ugly? Try this eyeshadow for $50!

Hopefully it doesn't nab a lot of naive people.

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
What do you think about the statement the pharmecuetical companies sell sickness to promote thier drugs? For instance, "oh you are really shy, well thats not normal, we can help you with that". Do you think most of us are just simply really shy and thats all?
The alternative to having an illness is that we're all weird, creepy, crazy, hermits, or any number of negative terms associated with it.

Shyness is socially acceptable, to a certain extent. When it stops being acceptable it becomes one of those terms listed above.

So if the pharmaceutical companies are changing terms in such a way, I'm OK with it.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
People will always be a little over-enthusiastic when they discover a new tool. If you're holding a hammer, lots of things start to look like nails, and no one learns caution in how far they take things except by finding out. There is often not malicious intent.

Really, I consider fear a drug for how it distorts your thinking. If my body is self-administering a drug I really don't have need, want, or use for in many contexts, I don't feel bad with chemical help counteracting its distortion, or if other's suggest it. Even the enlightened man will step out of the rain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts