Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else have a hard time getting or wanting any kind of emotional support or therapy from other people, especially professionals? I have always worked my way through my own problems. I read a lot and consider myself a bit of an autodidact. I have written in journals, written on message boards, my whole life. I tried going to therapists at school once but I just wasn't feeling it at all. I felt like I already knew everything and they didn't really have anything to offer me except homework I didn't have any time or interest in doing. I don't know if it's just arrogance and I feel "above it" or if there really are people out there who feel self-healing is the only way for them. Like to me, I am the only person I know has all the right answers for myself, so why bother going through the process of asking other people to lay a path out before me?

The only problem is people seem to think I'm cold or I don't express my emotions enough. Am I not giving therapy the chance it deserves? Or is it okay to be arrogant about your emotions?

I'm just curious what other people think. I know a lot of people try for therapy, but I just kind of feel like I've never met anyone else who thinks this way. Was wonder if I'm the only one?

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I have heard of others. In addition, many end up doing this after bad experiences with therapy. It is very difficult to find appropriate therapy; I nearly always find that I know more than the therapists about the disorders concerned, and have read many research papers and contributed to projects (as an obsessive hobby :)).

I have found CBT to be the most helpful form of therapy because I cannot tolerate talk and emotion-based ones. However, I very rarely come across a decent practitioner. Having an appropriate therapist can be useful in that it provides you with a different perspective to consider.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts