Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried Self Help Workbooks for anxiety? If so, have they helped you? I have 2 workbooks. One called " Anxiety and phobias" which was given to me by a friend and I bought one called " Anxious and Depressed." I would have to say the Anxious and Depressed one might be helpful. The exercises are difficult as you really have to think about how you feel.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Has anyone tried Self Help Workbooks for anxiety? If so, have they helped you? I have 2 workbooks. One called " Anxiety and phobias" which was given to me by a friend and I bought one called " Anxious and Depressed." I would have to say the Anxious and Depressed one might be helpful. The exercises are difficult as you really have to think about how you feel.
overcoming social anxiety and shyness by gillian butler

the shyness and social anxiety workbook by richard p swinson

the gillian butler one is the best but they are both gems

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
"Thinking" about how you are "feeling" is always tough because feelings are usually linked to one word while thinking describes the feeling. I.e. "how are you feeling?" "Well, I think I am ok but I guess today's has been an alright day and no one has really bugged me so I am feeling fine." This is an example of someone trying to put a feeling into a thoughtful analysis instead of just defining their feeling.

A feeling is usually described by one word like mad, sad, happy, depressed, jealous, indifferent, sedated, perplexed, discombobulated, etc. "Right now I feel relaxed and content" would probably be an accurate depiction of feelings. "Right now I think my day is going as well as it can because I have been able to keep people at bay. Maybe this technique is more successful if I keep busy and thereby am less stressed by people bothering me? So I think everything is pretty good" is a good description of a thought.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
"Thinking" about how you are "feeling" is always tough because feelings are usually linked to one word while thinking describes the feeling.
Agreed. It's also tough because sometimes, for whatever reason, you may not quite want to or feel unable to bring yourself out of that feeling enough to look at it, think about it, and come up with a thought to counter that feeling.

I'm using the Anxiety and Phobias Workbook, and I find it VERY helpful, especially the chapters on Self-Talk and Self-Esteem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts