Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have being trying to figure out my own SAD. I have seen a psychiatrist but I feel I have made more process myself then with a counselor.

One thing I have realized: Most of us dwell on negative thoughts, sometimes we dont even notice the positive thoughts. Sometimes when I have a positive thought it may all of a sudden turn negative.
Ex: I am fantasying about how I will attract a certain girl. Maybe I will tell her how awesome I think she is or how beautiful she is. Then all of a sudden I start to think well there is no point in telling her this because it wont get me anywhere.

The fact is most of us have trained our brains to accept the negative. So recently when the negative comes into my mind I immediately try to recognize it and go back to the positive.

You will realize that recognizing the negative takes time but its worth a try.
Lets say the thought that you think other people are judging you pops into your head, just think to yourself "I dont give a **** what they think" and go back to thinking positive.

Maybe try to act on some of your positive thoughts and see what happens. Although I must say what ever does happen try to perceive it in a positive way.
Ex: You text a girl to hang out. She replies that she is busy and cannot. Instead of thinking that she doesnt want to hang out with you. Maybe think she might actually be busy.

I Hope this helps. I myself am still struggling with SAD and would hope that nobody else will have to go thru this. Best of luck.

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I'm doing this right now, and I can vouch for you in saying that this does work :yes. I've been doing it for a while and it helps. I think that this is how most people think also. They either do this or don't react at all. But since we have SA we're bound to react, more than likely in a negative manner, so I try to counter it with positive rational thoughts. Now I'm much less affected by things that used to really bother me (people looking at me, people asking me questions, asking questions myself, etc.).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts