Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you have read my thread about Scizophrenia, you would know that I cannot go to the doctor for a screening.

So I know many people are against self-diagnosis...but it is the only option I have right now. Here is what I planned on doing.

Every day I would record my mood, and any symptoms I had relating to certain disorders. I would keep up this recording for a year, and make a decision on what I possibly might have. What do you guys think about this. And do you have any tips for me?

Also, did any of you self-diagnose yourself with something?

I did with maladaptive daydreaming and depression...these other disorders I suspect myself of having are a lot more complicated to dissect.:blank

·
Banned
1,804 Posts
Well I guess it's the best you can do for now, but be careful with medications, if you don't know for sure if you're suffering from schizophrenia then maybe those meds will do you more harm and good. I didn't read your thread so I don't know why you can't go to a doctor for screening but you must be able to see a doctor, to say something like that is absolutely ridiculous! What the hell could your reasons possibly be? How in the world are you not able to see a doctor, are your parents preventing you? Is the Canadian health care system preventing you because you have to wait a really long time b4 you see a doctor?

·
Requires Partial Shade
236 Posts
If you aren't sure, it might be a good idea to focus on treating symptoms until you can get real support. Even professionals aren't 100% correct. If you know there's a problem area, don't hesitate to look for coping methods regardless of what the diagnosis could be. Taking care of yourself is more important.

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
One issue with self diagnosis is personal bias; subjectivity. Another is limited experience and knowledge -- trained professionals have completed years of rigorous, career-specific education, something that cannot be paralleled by simple internet research and a bit of textbook reading.

Still, self diagnosis can be a useful indicator of what you might have. So long as you stick rigidly to the methodology stated in the OP, paired with a lot of research on schizophrenia, you could get a pretty good gist of what your condition is. Nonetheless, you must keep in mind that your conclusion can be wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
self diagnosis is one thing, but self treatment is something else
what you're talking about (recording your moods and symptoms) is a good idea, and is actually a big part of cbt therapy

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Self diagnosis is a really bad idea because people are inclined to identify with symptoms they don't have, or only have in normal amounts. Just look at doctors records during any disease outbreak, the news reports a disease is going around and the hospitals are flooded with people who think they have it. It's just too easy for you to go down a symptom check list and say 'i have this, i have this, oh i definitely have this....' That's why you look for an outside, trained, professional.

Turning to the plan in your OP, you intend to record "any symptoms I had relating to certain disorders." Right there you've already failed. You know what the symptoms are and you're looking for them, you're going to mislead yourself and find them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also cannot visit a doctor. Not only do i dislike doctors, medical environments, and being on medication, i just have no desire.
Currently, I definitely have ADD.
My mood switches a lot, but i don't want to go as far as saying bipolar, and i get really low and sad at some points but also do not think that is depression. Maybe a mild form of something....not sure what.
I had mild selective mutism at one point but kind of got over it...not that it's much better on the reverse side. Since i find it difficult to pinpoint what my problems are i often just call the sum of my symptoms the human disorder ><

1 - 7 of 7 Posts