Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it, anyone else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DO_I? said:
yeah... :fall
do you mind sharing your experiences? Mail me if you don't, I'd love to compare notes or whatever.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I'm treating a 10-year-old who has selective mutism. We are doing non-verbal communication therapy. My supervising speech pathologist is also going to try a new program called RDI which is normally used to treat pragmatic communication in people w/ autism, should be interesting to see if it helps him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had it when I was 5, but I wasn't diagnosed with social anxiety until I was 15, my psychiatrist told me I had selective mutism as a kid. I guess I probably had it a long time, I never talked at school unless someone pushed me to talk and even then I'd only say one or two words at the most. A lot of times I said nothing, when I was a little older I gave up replying because it was hopeless, cause if I said a word to someone they'd ask more questions. I had the reputation in the school as the girl whom never talked, so anytime I said anything everyone shut up and paid attention and was like, "she said something", they used to ask me to say words like I was mentally retarded, "can you say, dog?". I never got any better while going to school and eventually I had to do school from home. My social skills really suck now because of growing up with it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have never heard that term before!
I have always had a hard time with therapy because it's almost like my throat closes up, I just can't speak, nothing will come out of my mouth even if I try. this happens in many social situations as well, but it has actually been the hardest for me in therapy because how can you get help if you can't say what is wrong, you know?

Is that similar to selective mutism at all?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.