Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you feel real awkward when you see people you know in public? If you have ever watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David refers to this as the "stop and chat," which he hates because he has nothing to say to people most of the time and would rather not deal with having a trivial conversation at all. However, Larry stays composed in these situations, even though it is awkward.

I am not so fortunate. I remember a few years back, I saw my friend's mom in Target. I was going to walk right by and just say "hey how are you?", but she is very friendly and stopped for a chat. I felt paralyzed and nervously navigated through a short conversation, perhaps stuttering on a word or two and scratching my head. I was trying to think up something more to say but was just firing blanks. I walked away thinking, "wow that was awkward" and I hope she didnt feel as bad.

Thats pretty screwed up to me. I dont want to be awkward like that with people I know. When I am in casual conversations with people like that I have to think real hard about what to talk about. Many times the conversation comes to a halt because the other person can tell I am at great unease and am struggling to find some common ground. Then again, there are some days (very very few) where I am in a great mood and the words just come naturally to me and I have to think up an excuse to stop talking to them. That is always a much better interaction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I feel really awkward. I usually will say something stupid. In fact it's far easier for me to insult them than to say something nice. I don't know why. And when I do say something nice, i know it doesn't sound sincere and I am a really bad liar.

People think I am conceited, arrogant or a snob. I just don't want to talk and embarass myself. Small talk? it's not easy for me at all.

If there is a topic of substance, I'm fine. If I don't think too much, I'll say something appropriate and it will be a friendly interchange. What's worse is if I'm with a close friend and we run into someone, i won't say a thing and just listen.

These little interactions do have a cumulative effect for me. I get into a bad habit of just putting my head down and keep walking. I've lost the opportunity to meet many girls because of this. If it's a man, I generally ok.

Once at a wedding I was seated next to attractive single woman. Just my luck I thought sarcastically. She started to make some small talk with me, I smiled and hesitated for maybe 2 seconds while I tried to think of something to say. And my brother, whose really personable and outgoing saved me. But I resent him for butting in. It was a long time ago and it reinforced in me that I am helpless and aloof. About a year later, I found out the skank made out with a married guy at the wedding and I felt a lot better about myself, even a year later. I'm sure that's also wrong of me but I can smile.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Do you feel real awkward when you see people you know in public? If you have ever watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David refers to this as the "stop and chat," which he hates because he has nothing to say to people most of the time and would rather not deal with having a trivial conversation at all. However, Larry stays composed in these situations, even though it is awkward.

I am not so fortunate. I remember a few years back, I saw my friend's mom in Target. I was going to walk right by and just say "hey how are you?", but she is very friendly and stopped for a chat. I felt paralyzed and nervously navigated through a short conversation, perhaps stuttering on a word or two and scratching my head. I was trying to think up something more to say but was just firing blanks. I walked away thinking, "wow that was awkward" and I hope she didnt feel as bad.

Thats pretty screwed up to me. I dont want to be awkward like that with people I know. When I am in casual conversations with people like that I have to think real hard about what to talk about. Many times the conversation comes to a halt because the other person can tell I am at great unease and am struggling to find some common ground. Then again, there are some days (very very few) where I am in a great mood and the words just come naturally to me and I have to think up an excuse to stop talking to them. That is always a much better interaction.
1) Best show ever

2) I can relate to alot of Larry Davids problems in the show. I find it very draining to "stop and chat".

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
I used to have a lot of problems with this. Then I moved to a new city and did a poor job of making friends here. So now I hardly ever bump into people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts