Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news is that I was called back for a second interview. The bad news is I've never had a job that required a second interview. In this interview, I will be introduced to the department I will be working in. Get a chance for everyone to evaluate me and see if I would be a good fit for the company. I can handle one on one, or even four on one, but I will be looked over by at least 8 people! My SA isn't that bad anymore. I can exchange pleasantries with strangers and can mingle at a party (for two hours at most before I need a breather). But 8 people judging me at once might put me over the edge. I'm afraid I'll have a panic attack like I did five years ago at an interview. I had to walk out in the middle because I felt like I was choking.

OK, I feel better. I just needed to write down my fears. None of my current friends knows about my SA and I can't talk about this with anyone else.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Sabailos,

Please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I can understand the "Fear" BUT, remember, you can only, talk to one person at a time;-)

You were chosen for a second interview, this is wonderful!

As well, I don't know ONE person, even if they're "Normal" where this wouldn't make them nervous;-)

Remember to breath, you'll be fine;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what happened. I walked into the building, signed in and exchanged a few pleasantries with the security guy. I read in a book to do this. The boss might ask his opinion to see how my social skills are. Next I met with the same person who interviewed me before. He asked me some behavorial type questions like, what was your biggest challenge? Who influenced you most in your life? I hate these types of questions, but managed to bluff my way through them. Next I met the five other people in my department. I sat in a chair while they looked me over and started asking me questions. I remembered to make eye contact with everyone when I answered. Then I met with two HR reps and they asked me some more weird behavioral type questions. I was starting to get nervous and just asked one question at the end because they were making me really uncomfortable. You are supposed to ask more to seem interested, but I was starting to tire. I messed up that part of the interview. The head of the department walked me downstairs. I gave him a firm handshake and said I hope I get the chance to work with you. Thanks for your time. Told the security gaurd to have a nice day and walked towards my car. Then I started to rehash every little thing I did and started to get down on all my mistakes.

Two days later, good news! They want to make me an offer. I'll let you know what happens next.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Salary negotiations are finished and I'll be starting on Monday. We ended at 47K + 10% if department targets are met. The commute will be an hour, but it looks like a good company to work for. After I get three paychecks, I can afford a downpayment on a house. I'll finally able to move out of my parent's house. I just hope I don't screw this one up, like I did my last two jobs.

BTW, nice sig hema. I am a big Mencken fan. One of the funniest guys ever. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be working as an accountant. I've been unemployed for four months, so I am really looking forward to working again. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be working as an internal auditor. I don't want to say where exactly, but it is no where near Manhattan or Northern NJ. If I was making this in Manhattan, I would probably be in a homeless shelter begging Paris Hilton for her dog's scraps. ;-)

·
Registered
241 Posts
No, not anymore. I found it tough because I always had to almost interigate people in other departments. I was told I was doing a good job, but my anxiety was very high, especially in the morning. Everyday felt like the first day of school. Plus I was working a lot of overtime without pay. I moved on to a job I like better, but its taking long to get ahead. I'd look more aggressively for another job if I wasn't so comfortable... Keep me posted on any thoughts/feelings/concerns you have with your new job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^
For the first time in my life, it is actually going well for me. I've enjoyed talking with everyone I've met and look forward to work for the first time in my life. This is a great company to work for. Actually flirted with a girl at the orientation and will meet her for drinks this weekend. I think I'll be staying at this company for a while. :)
I hate to admit it, but I hope the jerks at my last jobs are still miserable and stuck in a dead end job. I really should be less petty, but they made my life hell for one year.

·
Registered
994 Posts
That is so wonderful to hear! It's so nice when things fall in too place;-) Congrads on the girl, if you buy her a Honda, I'm gonna be jealous;-)))
We're all petty at times.............Just the way life is;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
seph said:
No, not anymore. I found it tough because I always had to almost interigate people in other departments. I was told I was doing a good job, but my anxiety was very high, especially in the morning. Everyday felt like the first day of school. Plus I was working a lot of overtime without pay. I moved on to a job I like better, but its taking long to get ahead. I'd look more aggressively for another job if I wasn't so comfortable... Keep me posted on any thoughts/feelings/concerns you have with your new job.
I am starting to feel the same way. On the ride to work, I get really nervous thinking about some of the people I'll have to call and get information from. And some people are hostile, because they view the auditors like a cop. I think I will last about two years in this position before I transfer to another part of the company. But I want to look at the positive side now. If I can manage to do this job successfully, I feel that I have accomplished something significant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts