Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the change of season affect your SA or another disorder you have? It is affecting my bi polar. I am curious to see if the change of seasons affect anyone else?

·
wooden hippie nice
1,639 Posts
I'm sure the change in season affects my disorders, particularly my depression. Now that it's beginning to get darker earlier and the days are much more gloomy I can definately feel my mood becoming worse. It's a little odd because I used to prefer winter to summer but now it's the opposite.

I'll be starting university in a few weeks which is obviously sparking my SA greatly at the moment, so it's hard to tell just how much the worsening of it is down to the prospect of leaving and how much it's being affected by the weather. But yes, it definately has some kind of an effect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You say the seasons effect your bi-polar. I don't really believe it. its probably just 90% the placebo effect taking place. I also think this about SAD.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a discussion on here about seratonin as I am intensely drawn to be out in the sun at any cost and am a definite believer in seasonal affective disorder.

I am not bi-polar, but I do suffer with depression, SA and I believe SAD.

Its raining and gloomy here today and I'm feeling it in comparison to some of the previous sunnier days down here. I'm hoping to see the doctor soon and am going to ask about borrowing an NHS light box this year to see if it makes a difference - I heard that some doctors/ pharmacies offer this in the UK?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Yes very much so, I get very depressed every year about the time we start heading into fall. I most likely have bi-polar 2 from what a psychiatrist told me once.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
You say the seasons effect your bi-polar. I don't really believe it. its probably just 90% the placebo effect taking place. I also think this about SAD.
season and weather change can have an affect on your serotonin, so yes it's possible.
there is seasonal affective disorder, for example, which is often triggered by winter and colder weather but i've read of cases where it is the opposite and the depression is triggered by the warmer weather.

for people with bipolar, i've heard that happen. i think my episode around the season changes were coincidental. but i know of some who often get manic in the summer and even more who get depressed in the winter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
season and weather change can have an affect on your serotonin, so yes it's possible.
May be in part, but Dopa and Norepinephrine play a part to. What she's speaking of is called S.A.D or Seasonal Affective Disorder. Wellbutrin which regulates these two neurotransmittors is FDA approved for this. It works btw.
S.A.D

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I for whatever reason love the fall and the spring. I despise both summer and winter for them both being too extreme. I despise the heat; I despise the cold. I like the inbetween.

But frankly, this has been a bad year with my mom dying so it cannot be over soon enough for me.

Go 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Although to be fair I probably like the winter more than the summer just because I like having a fire in the woodstove.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I truly dread late Autumn and all of Winter because I know I will feel like s*** during this period. It's one of the many reasons I would love to move somewhere that' sunny all year round. There are times during Winter where I don't even want to get out of bed.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I think I'm noticeably more depressed in the fall and winter, and I don't even live in a place where it gets that cold/gloomy or the sun sets that early (southern U.S. Plains). Even mild cold and 5:30pm sunsets make me feel drained and lifeless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts