Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For just over a month now I've been having a vague, dull, nervous pain just to the right of my lower back. It sometimes radiates down my right buttock and sometimes down my right leg. Some days I don't have it at all.

However, when I woke up today, it was far more painful than it's ever been. It now feels more like a sort of torn muscle pain, in the same place in my lower back. It's probably because I spend so much time hunched in front of a computer.

But anyway it really hurts. Does anyone else have this? What can you do to make it feel a little better? I don't like going to the doctor.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I know you said you don't like going to the doctor, but if it is Sciatica, that'd mean there is an underlying cause for it that needs to be attended to, as Sciatica is a symptom and not a standalone issue.

But, depending on the underlying problem, it might go away on its own, (or it might not even be Sciatica at all.)

You could put an ice pack or heating pad on it and take some painkillers in the meantime, anyway.

·
Registered
552 Posts
For just over a month now I've been having a vague, dull, nervous pain just to the right of my lower back. It sometimes radiates down my right buttock and sometimes down my right leg. Some days I don't have it at all.

However, when I woke up today, it was far more painful than it's ever been. It now feels more like a sort of torn muscle pain, in the same place in my lower back. It's probably because I spend so much time hunched in front of a computer.

But anyway it really hurts. Does anyone else have this? What can you do to make it feel a little better? I don't like going to the doctor.
Yeah, I have sciatica. One day I was ok, next was in pain, it lasted for months and months, been to the drs, they have given me powerful painkillers, as it was so painful. In the end the drs had to refer me to see a physio, they did some things and its much, much better now. At the moment I am going to the hospital gym to help my back too. Plus I do exercises at home that the physio told me to do.

Yes ok, its not totally gone, my back sometimes hurts, but it was much better than before.

Before, it was pain from lower back, down my leg to my feet. It ended up constantly all of the time and had trouble sleeping cos of the pain and things. Now its the odd pain here and there.

I think this is the second time I had sciatica, the first time, seem to go on its own.

I feel for you, not nice thing. Good Luck on your decision of what to do.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to the walk-in clinic at the hospital tomorrow, I'd rather see my GP but I know I wouldn't be able to get an appointment for at least a week. I think they can still give prescriptions at the hospital though.

It's really uncomfortable moving about; it hurts to stand up and bend down etc. Whenever I find something wrong with me I always jump to the worst conclusion, so I shall be relieved if the doctor just says its bad posture and weak muscles.

I suspect it probably is bad posture though; I'm aware my sitting posture is quite slouchy. I used to go to the gym regularly too. I used to do crunches and dead lifts so my core strength was decent, however that was nearly two years ago now. So perhaps stopping working on my core, and instead getting into a lazy routine has been a factor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have issues with sciatica too. They have been recurring for about 6 years now. They started bothering me about 2 months ago. I went to an orthopedist and the x-rays were fine. They did an MRI too, just because it's been going on so long.

I have been doing physical therapy, which as been helping a lot. Right now, she mainly has me doing exercises there. I am going to stop soon, and go to a gym, because $60/mn for a gym beats $150 a week for physical therapy. She has me, primarily, doing core strengthening exercises and working to be able to make normal day-to-day movements without over exending my back. I tend to over-arch my back and it has my sacrum and spine all wonky.

That said, the orthopedist I saw to review the MRI results recommended a chiropractor to me. She says they can do WAY more for lower back stuff than a physical therapist. I haven't called the chiro yet, and have a general mistrust of them, but I plan to do so. I don't want the back pain to get like it was and I can't afford $600/mn on physical therapy. I could buy some cool toys with that money. :-D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts