Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother has SA, Schizophrenia, Bi-Polar disorder. I was adopted at birth and haven't met her yet.

At exactly my age (16) she began to exhibit all of the symptoms I am now experiencing (SA). When she turned 20-21 she began to experience psychosis. I have also been told that she began drinking heavily and doing a lot of drugs from 16-20 and that she would not have become schizophrenic had she not; she would have developed some milder schizo disorder.

Everyday I get these strong thoughts that I will become schizophrenic, scares the hell out of me. Especially because I have had paranoid thoughts ever since I can remember. I remember one time when I was very young, sitting down to eat something and seeing something discoloured then believing that maybe it was poison or something lol.

Even now I get these wierd thoughts. Like the other day, I was at work. After I finished my break I went to change back into my uniform and saw that my glove was folded so it looked like it was giving my the middle finger. I thought to myself, maybe someone or something did that for a reason. But after I have one of these thoughts I remind myself how ridiculous I sound.

Anyone else know anyone/have schizophrenia or something similar?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Lonely Teen :)

I too have a mother that has Schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder. I was adopted at birth by my grandmother. I can totally understand your fear of becoming schizophrenic. I remember when I was your age(I'm 21 almost 22 now) dreading getting older bc of the fear that I was one day closer to being ill like her. She got sick in her 20's. Now, though, I'm not as scared. I think of all the time and energy wasted on thinking what if - what if tomorrow I wake up and I'm CRAZY! What if what if...

I know it's hard, but try not to fixate on your mother's disorder. Just because she got it does NOT mean that you will. And as for some of the strange thoughts you've had.. everyone has weird thoughts! It's just like background noise in your brain. Especially if you have an anxiety problem.. thoughts like that and anxiety go hand in hand. The fact that you are able to seperate yourself from those thoughts just shows how very 'normal' you are.

As far as the what if's go - noone can be certain what their future holds, ya know? I know it's hard.. but try to stay in your present moment.. just take one day at a time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My grandmother has Schitzophrenia, my mom has social anxiety, I have social anxiety.It's wierd, it's like from my grandma passed down the gene and the allele changed in a different form or something to my mom, and my mom passed down her gene to me in the same form. It's strange observing all our behaviours like the way we act, like we are different but very simular to eachother.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My mom has schizophrenia as well, and her mother had it as well.. except for she could function like a normal person and my mom cannot. I too have been afraid since I was young that I would get schizophrenia.

I started getting some paranoid thoughts around the age of 18 or 19, but I can definitly still tell what is paranoia and what is not. Most people are full blown schizophrenics by the age of 20, younger for men later for women. I have been to a few psychologists, and they said I was not a schizophrenic, because I could tell what is reality and what is not...

The best thing you can do, is see a couple professionals and get a answer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have recently seen a psychiatrist. I told him everything. He said that I'm suffering from severe SA and that's it. I still can't help thinking about it though.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I can understand worrying about it. Almost everyone on my dad's side has bipolar. On my mom's side, lots of anxiety. I got unipolar depression and anxiety. Time will tell if I develop bipolar. I worry about this, because age of onset is soon (usually mid-twenties in my family). I try and remind myself that if I get it, worrying about it won't help, and if I don't, then worrying is just a waste of time anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It doesn't run in my family or anything, but I think if I did drugs, I would likely become schizophrenic as well. But I don't worry about it, because I don't do drugs!

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
There isn't good evidence that drugs can make someone schizophrenic. Rather, drugs aggravate a preexisting tendency for schizophrenia. Person A may have zero tendency towards it, and hence will abuse drugs and not incur that particular penalty. Person B may have a small tendency that normally would not manifest itself as any kind of psychosis, but with the introduction of drugs, it blooms. Person C may have schizophrenia, and the drugs 'merely' worsen the problem.

The reason I say that drugs don't necessarily make someone schizophrenic is because there is a high overlap between drug abuse and schizophrenia. It's like which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did the person abuse drugs and then become psychotic, or were they psychotic, and that mental problem led them to impulsive drug taking?

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/showArt ... =159904983

No one is particularly sure what causes schizophrenia, let alone why drugs could potentially bring out schizophrenia. The most widely-held assumption is that schizophrenia has something to do with dopamine and serotonin irregularities; antipsychotics help with this. Recreational drugs such as methamphetamine, ecstasy, or LSD (three of the worst drugs you could possibly abuse) tend to overload the brain with dopamine and/or serotonin and damage the neurotransmitter systems. Think of drug use as like squeezing a lemon; you get loads more juice out, but in the process the fruit rind is broken up. (This is, I know, a bad analogy since, unlike a lemon, your brain is able to refill itself with proverbial juice. However, like a squeezed lemon, the second, third, and other times squeezing juice out would further deteriorate the rind.)

The same is true of almost all recreational drugs, with the exception of opiates, which usually only work on opiate receptors.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I've heard that overworking yourself or not getting enough sleep can cause schizophrenic-like symptoms. I've never worried too much about getting it because it doesn't run in my family. I sometimes worry about one day having a mental breakdown though. I think you have a higher chance of getting schizophrenia if your mother had it I believe. That's how it gets passed down. I would see a doctor to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The thing about schizophrenia is that if you have a chance for it ... like it's genetic or anything, there are things that can trigger it. Like a super stressful event, or something that messes up your system like getting really sick, and it could trigger a part in your brain and you'll start getting symptoms of schizophrenia. So drugs could be the trigger if you're abusing them. Most people would not be affected like that from drugs, but someone who is already at risk of schizophrenia.

For me, although it does not run in my family, anxiety does. And drugs have given me schizophrenic symptoms. And I'm talking weed here, I can't smoke an entire joint anymore, but one would make me hallucinate (if I didn't just get a panic attack before that could ever happen now). When I was a kid I always hallucinated when I got a fever, and some of the things I saw and felt are still strong in my mind sometimes. Not to mention how crazy I am anyway, and a bit dillusional in general. I just feel like I'd be at risk for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, "passed down from mother to child", I've heard of that, too. Bad news for me. I still think that I am at a high-risk for it. I can be dellusional, and I even sometimes hear things that aren't there (rarely) like maybe a phone ring, a car pull in, my name. But it's always unclear and I can easilly distinguish it from reality, the dellusions, too. I've been like that since I was like 10, hasn't changed at all since then, so I'm guessing it's not going to change now.

But yeah, I'd say some big stressful event or drugs would probably blow it up into something a lot more serious. I was told my mom was like I am now when she was my age, but it only turned into schizophrenia when she involved herself in drugs/alcohol. Something that I will NEVER do.

I'm actually going to be meeting her in the near future. Maybe get some solid answers from HER, not from some social worker.

My $.02 .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts