Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For quite some time I've wondered if I could be slightly schizoid in addition to SA, or maybe vice versa.

I seem to fit a lot of the characteristics, the only glaring thing that doesn't seem to apply to me is being indifferent to praise or criticsim - but I find myself very skeptical of praise and criticism at times. I did a big presentation not long ago and people kept telling me I did well - I honestly felt like they must be doing it out of pity.

Do I need a pyschologist to evaluate me? Or should I even bother with that?

Can anyone here relate?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answer yourself this, what is the benefit of getting an official diagnosis for something like that? If it will give you peace of mind or something, then go for it. But otherwise what's the point?

Also, I'm quite skeptical of the DSM, and I don't think I really believe in the schizoid PD. You might be interested to know (I did some reading on the matter) that apparently the term schizoid initally was used as an umbrella term for socially anxious and avoidant personality disorder. Then over decades it morphed into the disorder which is in the DSM, whereby the core trait is flat affect / anhedonia / disinterest in others (which incidently often occurs in some kinds of depression). However, some researchers maintain, that schizoid PD is actually mild aspergers, and therefore is a redundant diagnosis.

In fact the first case studies in psychiatric literature for schizoid PD were people who today most likely would have been diagnosed with aspergers. Furthermore, understanding of aspergers / autistic spectrum disorders is very limited, so it's thought that schizoid is probably on the autistic spectrum , like a form of mild aspergers but with less obvious ''autistic traits'' such as difficulty reading body language, become obsessed with certain topics, etc. So the whole area is very murky tbh.

As for being very skeptical of praise and criticism, so am I, at least with praise. I always think people give me compliments because they feel sorry for me, or sucking up etc. I find it hard to believe it's genuine, but that's really because I have a tremendous lack in self-esteem and can't see what there is to compliment myself about. I'd say this is pretty common in people with SA (I have no trouble believing criticism though - ha! typical).
Thanks. I was hesistant myself about getting a diagnosis, its not something I'd probably want in my records.

What started me thinking about this mainly was the fact that I don't seem to long for social interaction like I used to and geniuenly prefer being alone a lot.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
The DSM diagnostic criteria for Schizoid PD and the "personality disorders" in general are very vague. Schizoid PD doesn't have a defining characteristic like Psychopathy-lack of empathy for others or Social Phobia-anxiety in social situations. It just seems like a arbitrary mixture of things from Psychopathy, SP/Avoidant PD, Schizophrenia, and maybe Aspergers? that are contradictory and incongruent with each other. I wonder if its a legitimate disorder or Schizoids are really suffering from something else?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wondered too if i was a schizoid. I have many of the traits of a schizoid, but i think I have avoidant personality disorder more if anything. I don't what I can do about it though. I want help.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Secretive schizoid

Does anyone know of any articles relating to the "secretive schizoid"? I came across this term whilst researching schizoid on wikipedia but it seems there is hardly anythign about it on the web except from wikipedia so it looks like one of those unreliable wikipedia things.

In fact the first case studies in psychiatric literature for schizoid PD were people who today most likely would have been diagnosed with aspergers. Furthermore, understanding of aspergers / autistic spectrum disorders is very limited, so it's thought that schizoid is probably on the autistic spectrum , like a form of mild aspergers but with less obvious ''autistic traits'' such as difficulty reading body language, become obsessed with certain topics, etc. So the whole area is very murky tbh.
Nice post - I had originally suspected myself of perhaps having aspergers syndrome but the problem was, I did not exihibit any of the "main" symptoms such as difficulty understanding body language/facial expressions, a need for routine etc but I still exhibited the "other, smaller" symptoms of AS such as difficulty explaining feelings/emotions, "lack" of empathy etc so I then thought myself as having a light version of AS and then through further reading, that is how I came across the term schizoid.

If anyone knows any goods books that can be purchased from Amazon or somewhere about schizoid then that will be great as well - I did a quick search but di dnot come up with many results. Like LaRibbon said, it seems that schizoid in particular is grossly under researched.

·
ISFJ
1,473 Posts
I didn't know anything about Schizoid PD until I read this post and checked out Wiki. It feels like it describes 80% of my behavior.
I wouldn't classify myself as a Schizoid but, it's nice to be educated on the matter.

I'm interested in learning more, if anyone finds any good books, please post. Thanks.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I was told by one of my counselors several years ago that she thought I had SPD, I've looked it up on the internet before and it fits me pretty well so it's probably a correct diagnosis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts