Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
alien monk
8,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyne else think they have Shizoid Personality Disorder? Why do you think you have it and how does this make a difference to you rather than having SAD?

·
Hot Garbage Stew
1,473 Posts
i thought i had it because it involves living in your head a lot, like almost having a different life inside your mind, but it's not the same. It doesn't involve a lot of emotion, so the anxious feeling isn't there, and people with schizoid don't have a desire for social interaction, while people with SA maybe do want relationships but find the social aspects difficult. I'm not sure if you can have both at once, but schizoids are usually well aware that they have something wrong with them.

·
Banned
372 Posts
I can't help but feel a little envious, reading up on that PD. sorry, that may seem terrible to someone who is suffering from it and wanting to change.:blank

·
alien monk
8,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol I'm not sure why I decided to look at alternative diagnoses for myself. It is a bit silly. I just saw aout schizoid stuff and think that some of it is similar to me. Maybe this is all just as likely to be SAD related but my main reasons are:

1) I was never close to my family and dont have a real emotional bond with them.
2) I don't want to make friends and I can't really understand friendship very well.
3) I have just one person in my life and have contradicting feelings about my relationship.
4) I fantasize quite a lot, although less these days.
5) I don't really enjoy doing things.

It doesn't really make any difference to me seeing myself as having SPD rather than SAD, I would just get to put myself in a different category and feel more special, lol. Even if I did have SPD its probably better to just say that I have SAD because most of the treatment for SAD is probably what I need anyway (if I were to seek more treatment). I am probably a poor judge of whether I have SPD, but I do identify with the description on wikipedia.
(sorry for the probably useless thread/post)

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I've read up a bit on it. I relate to some of the aspects of it, such as the emotional numbness, little motivation and lack of major goals in life. I also have no real interest in people, only a select few. But I do have a desire for relationships, so I can't say that I suffer from it.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Envious of what?...just curious
I'm envious of the indifference and lack of desire. It's basically the opposite of how I am. Often my lack of indifference and need to be with people is very painful, I'd love to get rid of it. Again i'm sorry if this is offensive, i'm sure it must be hard to have to deal with having little emotion or incentive to do things. But then, it's hard to deal with having too much emotion also.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I'm envious of the indifference and lack of desire. It's basically the opposite of how I am. Often my lack of indifference and need to be with people is very painful, I'd love to get rid of it. Again i'm sorry if this is offensive, i'm sure it must be hard to have to deal with having little emotion or incentive to do things. But then, it's hard to deal with having too much emotion also.
That makes perfect sense to me. Having no desire in the first place would be better than having your desires unfulfilled. At least imo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
BUT, when someone p*sses me off, I can cut them out of my life really easily. Even if I've know them for over a decade. I think this is weird.

Oh man, I know exactly what you mean, I do this too. Even if it's someone I've known really well and for a long time, if they make one wrong move and do something I consider unforgivable, I can just instantly kick them completely out of my life with no remorse. I won't think twice about it, and I won't ever *miss* them. I swear, I'm not capable of missing people. I kind of scare myself when I do this...those are always the times when I know I'm just not right in the head. I mean, normal people don't just instantly cut ties with very close friends, and if they do, they probably feel some sort of negative emotion...right?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
:popcorn

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I do usually have lots empathy for people though, and I do desire relationships. BUT, when someone p*sses me off, I can cut them out of my life really easily. Even if I've know them for over a decade. I think this is weird.
I am capable of not missing people, even family. I move on very easily. However, I suspect part of it is due to not forming strong bonds with such people in the first place. If I had a strong bond with someone, I am sure it would take much more for me to want to cut ties if they offended me. This is because I would not have been capable of forming such a bond in the first place if they had not been a fundamentally good person.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts