Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
alien monk
8,750 Posts
I spent so much of my adult life so far defining myself as one and am disappointed on how much I’ve wasted my life on it. While yes, it all may fit me to a T, but why would anyone want to box themselves into it for? If I wanted to feel empathetic for someone, I ****ing will. Thinking that I was just some emotionless robot and accepting the matter does no good for myself or the people around me.

life is really what we make it, we have control over our emotions and minds. Anhedonia may constantly cloud my perspective and wonder if this is just a mundane routine not worth pursuing, but then where’s the fun in being dead? At the same time, where’s the fun in being alive lol.
its the same as SAD. i approximate with someone with SAD, therefore i come to SAS and find some relief. boxes are cool, all the cats sit in them. i'm finding a lot to relate to in this dudes youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATqJDPEzNIyT7Q3pWYj2Rg - these internet phenomena are interesting, and can involve successful communication and revelatory information, as its a peer driven thing, not something that is just about pathologising people's varied psychological situations.

life might not be very fun very often but at least it can be interesting.

·
alien monk
8,750 Posts

·
SAS Member
43,979 Posts
its my turn at thread necromancy.

I used to follow some of her posts on quora, they were pretty useful.

The exit part is very relatable to me and describes my relationship with employment and other social interactions. I always need an easy way to escape. My anxiety is too bad these days to really draw distinctions but historically it's also been easier to move somewhere and form connections because it's new. I can't form connections in certain spaces or geographical locations because I want to avoid feeling trapped though that also overlaps with ptsd-like symptoms in certain cases.

·
SAS Member
43,979 Posts
Moreover schizophrenic people hear voices and hallucinate, do you also have these symptoms?

I had a period when I thought I am psychotic, lol, but that's just the anxiety playing around with your mind, rushing thoughts and so on....
I know this is an old post but they're incredibly different disorders lol that get mistaken because of the similar sounding name and because schizoid PD along with AvPD are theorised as being on the same spectrum of disorders and involve a lot of dissociation and inner fantasy life. Schizoid PD actually has more in common really symptom wise with autism spectrum disorder and they have some trouble differentiating the two plus there's an overlap between people with both. It's also related to dismissive-avoidant attachment styles.

Several studies have reported an overlap or comorbidity with the autism spectrum disorder Asperger syndrome.[64][15][16] Asperger syndrome had traditionally been called "schizoid disorder of childhood", and Eugen Bleuler coined both the terms "autism" and "schizoid" to describe withdrawal to an internal fantasy, against which any influence from outside becomes an intolerable disturbance.[65] In a 2012 study of a sample of 54 young adults with Asperger syndrome, it was found that 26% of them also met criteria for SPD, the highest comorbidity out of any personality disorder in the sample (the other comorbidities were 19% for obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, 13% for avoidant personality disorder and one female with schizotypal personality disorder). Additionally, twice as many men with Asperger syndrome met criteria for SPD than women. While 41% of the whole sample were unemployed with no occupation, this rose to 62% for the Asperger's and SPD comorbid group.[15] Tantam suggested that Asperger syndrome may confer an increased risk of developing SPD.[64] A 2019 study found that 54% of a group of males aged 11 to 25 with Asperger syndrome showed significant SPD traits, with 6% meeting full diagnostic criteria for SPD, compared to 0% of a control.[16]

In the 2012 study, it was noted that the DSM may complicate diagnosis by requiring the exclusion of a pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) before establishing a diagnosis of SPD. The study found that social interaction impairments, stereotyped behaviours and specific interests were more severe in the individuals with Asperger syndrome also fulfilling SPD criteria, against the notion that social interaction skills are unimpaired in SPD. The authors believe that substantial subgroup of people with autism spectrum disorder or PDD have clear "schizoid traits" and correspond largely to the "loners" in Lorna Wing's classification The autism spectrum (Lancet 1997), described by Sula Wolff.[15] The authors of the 2019 study hypothesised that it is extremely likely that historic cohorts of adults diagnosed with SPD either also had childhood-onset autistic syndromes or were misdiagnosed. They stressed that further research to clarify overlap and distinctions between these two syndromes was strongly warranted, especially given that high-functioning autism spectrum disorders are now recognised in around 1% of the population.[66]
Schizoid personality disorder - Wikipedia

^ that's from wikipedia. Also it's interesting (matter of opinion 🤣 ) because a while back I got into an editing war with people over the sexuality section lol because they kept quoting part of this book on schizoid disorder but left out the part where it noted people with schizoid PD had a higher rate of homosexuality. Something also found in autistic people (and it's important to note because of how sexual divergence is picked up on by others at young ages most of the time and results in bullying and ostracism which contributes to mental illness and personality disorders.) They quoted it without the word homosexual because the rest of the quote was about paraphilias. I tried to edit it to distinguish even though I think the distinction is largely snobbish and subjective in the first place why is a crossdresser less 'valid' than a homosexual person? In the end someone felt the entire section didn't make sense on a page about personality disorders (as far as I know it is the only one that does have a sexuality section which is a bit ****ed,) and was removed for a long time and now it's back again without the quote I see.

Anyway you'd have a bad time diagnosing schizoid PD based on psychosis since the vast majority of schizoid people are not psychotic.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts