Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I used to work at JCPenney from November last year to January and I stopped working because it was a seasonal employment. I've been not working since then.

I stay at my parents house and they are not normal parents. They are completely in my business and force me to do whatever they want even though I'm 19. They are telling me to reapply to JCPenney. The thing is that I'm scared to go back. I failed the interview process when I applied the first time (but somehow got a call saying that they wanted me anyway) and working inside the actual store is very stressful because of my SA.

As I said my parents are always in my business so I HAVE to tell them if I pass the interview or not. You might think that JCP would accept me because I used to work there but I still have the feeling they will reject me like before. I think calling me in to work was just luck in the air, I don't know if it would happen a second time.

I'm also scared of meeting the coworkers that I used to work there and having to say hi. That's very nerve wracking for me. I'm also nervous of meeting any new employees that may have gotten hired since I was away.

I actually have a strong feeling I might fail the interview again (the reason I failed before was because my anxiety got to me while simulating a sale). I'm fine with being rejected. The thing I'm not fine with is that I will have to tell my parents because my father will get mad and won't get over it until I do something he is proud of.

You may ask why don't I just look for some other job. The reason for that is that JCP so far is the best job I have. Not only is the pay alright (by my standards) uut the job itself is way better than my old job at Applebees. The people were mean and loud, it was such a tight space in the kitchen that I felt like I was going to die from how paranoid and nervous I felt.

Does anyone have some advise to deal with this?

·
Transformation Master
124 Posts
Look at it this way; Try to psyche yourself up to work again in order to save for your own place. Then your parents will have little power over what they can force you to do.

In regards to the interview, just go through the process as if you're speaking to a friend or somebody close in a normal situation. Most of the time, those types of interviewers just want to see you as a person rather than skills. Breathe deep and just go with the flow. The more relaxed and comfortable you feel at the actual interview makes your interviewer feel the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts