Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just had a job interview earlier today. First interview in nearly a year. And it went well. But now, as I sit here waiting for the call to see what way things will go, I think I'm more scared that I will get the job.

The last job I held was awful. My managers were so mean and I ended up getting fired after about 2 months of stressful work. I was fired once before as well from a cashier job. My confidence when it comes to having a job is just nonexistent. How could I get fired from such menial jobs? Ugh.

Anyway, this job seems pretty suited for me. But I'm so worried about getting it and then messing everything up. Trying to fit in with new coworkers, that awkward adjustment period where you try to get the hang of how everything is run while inevitably annoying and pissing people off.... I just can't handle getting fired AGAIN. What can I do to have more confidence and not be so afraid to get back to work?

I would love to just huddle under my covers and continue doing nothing with my life but I can't. The stigma of being unemployed is becoming unbearable. And not to mention the financial burdens of being unemployed for over a year now... I need to get back to work

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been out of a job for 5 months now and I'm really scared of going back. My previous job was a temporary employment period. The job I had before that one (which was my second job I ever had) was at Applebees and I was fired because:

• I left the premises to go home when it wasn't my time to leave.
  • I "spoke rudely" to another employee
  • I left for a break without asking the manger.

And all of these I can say with certainty was provoked by my social anxiety and paranoia.

Anyway, I'm afraid my anxiety is going to mess up another job. I wish I could help you but I'm basically in the same situation.

·
Registered
414 Posts
ahh same thing here, I've been out of a job for 10 months. Last job I had caused me MAJOR burnout. I am not as much afraid of new situation and or people (I work in IT industry, so most coworkers are weird geeks as well), as much as I dread having to spend 40 hours a week staring into computer in the office for years to come.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't worked in two years, i'm terrified of getting back into the work place. I'm a slow learner, a slow worker and I don't understand social interactions and don't act in accordance to what is "proper" social etiquette. I'm not slow because I don't try, I try so hard to be able to go faster, to learn faster, but I end up failing and either quitting due to stress, or other issues, or getting fired because I did something extremely stupid and irresponsible, which then fuels my depression and makes me feel worthless because I did something so stupid...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely feel you about being a slow learner and a slower worker. I don't understand why, if something doesn't click with you immediately, employers consider you worthless. So what if it takes a little more time to get? People learn differently. If I'm rushed to learn something the first day and expected to master it, I will probably be a slower worker because I'm not confident in what I'm doing. It's such BS.

I'm the same way socially. If people give me a chance to warm up (and sometimes this can take as long as a month), they usually like me. But most will write me off right away as the weird, quiet one. I still remember at my last job some guy trying to joke with me but he kinda mumbled and I couldn't hear him so I was like "what?" and he got all "WOW IT WAS A JOKE IT'S OK TO LAUGH YOU KNOW" ... I was like damn dude, I just didn't hear ya! People are crazy. Sometimes I think I'm the normal one, which is scary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts