Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm absolutely scared to death of my job interview next week at Disneyland. Last time I tried to get a job was probably about a year and a half ago and I kind of had a panic attack then because it was just too overwhelming. It's starting to feel the same way now. Every time I think about it my chest just gets tight and I have this sick feeling. I don't know if I'm more scared of the fact that this is a huge step in the direction of some major changes for me, or that I may just fall flat on my face in the interview and not get the job. I've started to prepare myself for the possible interview questions they may ask, but I still feel even after I practice them, I'll still stumble over my words and look like a socially inept 24 year old little girl. I don't know how anybody is going to hire me if I come off so shy and unable to hold myself well in an interview. They'll probably see right through me and know that I can't really handle responsibility, that I'm still a damn child trying to pretend to be a capable adult. I just know my answers to their questions won't be good enough. And if by some miracle they do offer me a job, I'm afraid that I'll take something I really don't want, and get hours that I can't handle, or responsibilities that I can't manage.

I'm going through all this without being on any medication because I refuse to take anything, so I really don't have anything to calm myself down other then whatever my therapist will suggest me to do. I feel that I am going to go through with actually going to the interview, but I am just not confidant about the way I will handle myself during it. I know it's going to be one of the worst and most uncomfortable days ever, and I know I probably won't even get the job because I'll make myself look bad.

Anyway, does anyone have an advice on how you personally stay calm for an interview?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would try to think of some good answers to "open-ended" questions, such as, "Tell us about yourself." etc. You may also want to look online for tips on how to interview.

Especially though, try to be less negative in your thoughts, and try not to think about it at all except to prepare. Unless you need to, just don't think about it at all.

Good luck!

·
ISFJ
1,473 Posts
I kind of psyched myself up before the interview. I told myself just to be honest and not really think of the answers, just to be honest and say the first thing that comes to mind.

In the past I was worried about giving the right answers, but that's not really the point of the interview. So I was worrying really for nothing.

Just be honest and don't think about your answers. You're probably being way too hard on yourself. I thought I bombed a recent interview, but they were very impressed with the interview.

I would also recommend watching your breath and just breathing slowly. Also, look the interviewer in the eye as you speak. Take it easy, and take your time, there's no need to rush.

I hope all goes well for you. Peace.

·
planning relocation
714 Posts
I usally go into interviews cocky and arrogant. I act as if the job is beneath me and im doing them a favor by applying for it. Strange as it sounds, its worked for me pretty well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know how you're feeling. In August this yr, i had to go to my new college for an interview with my new tutor. I was a little nervous before the interview began... but when it did, i was shaking, breathless.. ect.. uncontrolably.. i think that you should just take deep breathes, drink water, and relax.. it does help me :)

·
A Unicorn!!!
234 Posts
I realized I'm more relaxed if I think I don't want the job, or have a mindset that the employer already doesn't want me. I remember I had an interview for a job I BADLY wanted, the excitement and my nerves both killed me. Then today I had one where I was bleh... and the result was that I was more relaxed. So I've decided to just go to interviews with a lazy attitude from now on :)

·
Still Running
387 Posts
take a benzo or something before ... that's the only way id be able to get through it
I agree, I sometimes use something that will calm me before and interview so that I can think and answere the questions correctly and appropiately. I get so nervous otherwise that I feel and probably look like a bubbling idiot.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I think people have given you good advice so far. It's a good idea to prepare and think of your answers beforehand to soothe your mind. And then try not to think about the whole thing :) I've found that anticipation anxiety before interviews is far worse than anxiety I experience during the interview itself. Another tip: try to make eye contact with the interviewer, and shake his/her hand firmly.
Good luck! What position is it for? Working at Disneyland sounds like fun :)

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I'm absolutely scared to death of my job interview next week at Disneyland. Last time I tried to get a job was probably about a year and a half ago and I kind of had a panic attack then because it was just too overwhelming. It's starting to feel the same way now. Every time I think about it my chest just gets tight and I have this sick feeling. I don't know if I'm more scared of the fact that this is a huge step in the direction of some major changes for me, or that I may just fall flat on my face in the interview and not get the job. I've started to prepare myself for the possible interview questions they may ask, but I still feel even after I practice them, I'll still stumble over my words and look like a socially inept 24 year old little girl. I don't know how anybody is going to hire me if I come off so shy and unable to hold myself well in an interview. They'll probably see right through me and know that I can't really handle responsibility, that I'm still a damn child trying to pretend to be a capable adult. I just know my answers to their questions won't be good enough. And if by some miracle they do offer me a job, I'm afraid that I'll take something I really don't want, and get hours that I can't handle, or responsibilities that I can't manage.

I'm going through all this without being on any medication because I refuse to take anything, so I really don't have anything to calm myself down other then whatever my therapist will suggest me to do. I feel that I am going to go through with actually going to the interview, but I am just not confidant about the way I will handle myself during it. I know it's going to be one of the worst and most uncomfortable days ever, and I know I probably won't even get the job because I'll make myself look bad.

Anyway, does anyone have an advice on how you personally stay calm for an interview?
Go over all the questions beforehand, practice answering them with someone, research interview tips sites, learn about the company you're interviewing with.

Pray, take a few deep breaths, and remember you'll be home soon. Treat yourself to something you like after the interview.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Every time before I have an interview, I research any and all possible interview questions. My past interview (just last week actually), I think I totally bombed because I got a speeding ticket on my way to class. I was upset and pessimistic... I almost always feel great when I prepare myself for an interview. I make a lot of lists about how my day is going to go when I feel anxious. A waste of paper, but it helps ease me at times. Try looking up other people's interview experiences with the company as well.

From my experiences seeing people's resumes and hearing about interviews, I always feel confident in my skills. Some people fill out the worst applications, like only filling in their name and snarky reasons why they left their last job. Just preparing yourself shows that you care, and employers will definitely like that. I had a really great job that involved speaking with lots of people, and although I wasn't the greatest at being "outgoing" they kept me and understood. I'm going to send some luck your way!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Try not to berate yourself, you seem very eager to work and that is not true of everyone. Keep in mind that the interviewers expect some degree of nervousness so if you stumble, they won't think it's strange. Try not to be too fatalistic and invest too much in this interview. What I suggest is that you focus your mind completely on the questions and do your best to forget or contain your discomfort, think of it as a friendly interview rather than an interrogation. People are sometimes more on our side than we think. I emphatically wish you the best, interviews are my greatest fear so what you've said resonates with me. Keep us posted:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts