Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm worried about Monday because at the weekend my dad cut my hair and now I'm a skinhead (because I hate going to the hairdressers and my dad can only cut my hair short), but I'm really worried because I look wierd with short hair and I'm worried people might all look at me in class and I'll be the centre of attention.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
When I was at school, I kept my hair the same for ages because I was terrified of people acknowledging that I had changed it. But when I was younger and used to actually change it a lot, I remember that some people would say something about it on the first day, and after that it was just accepted. It's natural for people to acknowledge something different, but they'll get over it. I'm sure they'll all have other stuff to talk about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As hard as it is, you have to stop worrying about it. If people see that you're vulnerable and self-conscious, they're far more likely to say or do something. And they won't be insulting your hair they'll be insulting your lack of confidence and strength. And if someone does say something, if you can just stand there and not look affected, then they've got nothing on you. People get their haircut, we've all done it and felt self-conscious about it. The trick is to let people see that this was your choice and you back it 100%. In any case you can't regrow your hair and you're gonna have to go to school, so you can either go in scared or go in strong, it's your choice.

There's no way you can know what anyone else is thinking, so why try?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am 17... i know how you feel. I remember when i was about 14, i had a fringe up to the bottom of my nose, literally. One weekend my mum decided to cut it, and it was below my eyebrows.. all weekend i dreaded going into school, and all i thought was "they are going to look at me, they will laugh", ect ect.. but when i got there, i sat at the back of the class as i always did, anxious and insecure, but no one said anything, or really cared. I also wore my hair in a high pony tail every day in school up to the age of about 15. One day i decided to go in with my hair loose, which i had never done before, and i was so nervous about what people would think, but again, no one really cared.. if someone would have said something, i would've blushed and felt really awkward, but at the end of the day, no matter how you may feel, it's your hair, if people comment on it, **** 'em :p

·
not evn sposed to be here
122 Posts
For a while, (when I had medium length hair... a while after the same sort of buz cut you had) I noticed I looked pretty good in a white ball cap (especially after the hair started curling out from under the hat).

The hat really helped me because when my hair got longer I would skip class on bad hair days (which were every day with medium length hair to me). Usually I'd have it buz cut at that point so I wouldn't have to think about it, but after switching to the hat, I felt I had consistantly acceptable, non-outstanding hair and I felt a lot less worry before class.

Have you ever considered doing the hat thing? What color is your hair? There's only 1 color hat that I can wear, all the other kinds look aweful (white with black hair).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm white with dark brown hair, but we're not allowed hats in school. I'm more consies about my lack of hair than when I had medium hair.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hats aren't alive (EDIT: WTF, I meant aloud). Anyway, I went out this afternoon and saw a few people I knew. They didn't seem that shocked. That, along with suggestions on this thread have made me feel less worried about tomorrow anyway. Thanks everyone.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
It never is really bad at all. I used to be nervous about this all the time, when I would dye my hair. Not a big change, just brown to black, and I was so nervous that I would be the center of attention. I imagined that the teacher would say something and the whole class would turn and look at me etc. It really was quite irrational. And then it would turn out that only one or two people would notice and comment that my hair looked nice. :b

1 - 14 of 14 Posts