Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do love drawing, but after reading how dedicated a manga artist has to be, it makes me have 2nd thoughts. For one, when I come up with manga ideas I can never stay focused lomg enough to actually complete it...like Ill do the characters, have the plot completed..but I wont get started...Ill have another idea and the process will start over until Ihave 6 mangas in the embryonic stage...amd tbh I I think I might have six.

It's just I get bored easily ..and when Im tired of working at that manga I go to the others I've. Started to fill them out a bit.

Also im afraid of being rejected but more importantly I dont even know how to or whete to start to get my manga out there, Id dont want to join to a comp like tokyo pop ect... bc Iwant my mangas to be there own...

Anyways, Im still in school. .and after taking genersl courses Im transferring to SCAD, which I thimk will help alot..

IDK, I really need help I feel my world'sspinning a bit :'(

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any advice is helpful besides quitting, bc art is in my blood..literally :) my mom's dad was a good realism artist despite his mental illness, my dad is a good artist. So os my cousin who does tatoos as well as my brother...and me ^^

I just need ways to get my art out and not be so lazy

SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
Does it have to be manga? Maybe you could make one off art pieces in that style but not a whole manga?

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love manga, i love the concept of telling a story... idk I don't do peices like painters do

Registered
I guess you have to decide if this is something you want badly enough that you're willing to put in the hours to realize your dreams. It takes discipline. If you realize it might not be something you want to pursue, then pursue something similar to it. If you haven't done so already, check out the stories about popular manga artists and see what they did to be where they are today.

Banned
Not to break your dream any further, but being a mangaka isn't easy. Especially when you're targeting Japan. Competition is very tight (sometimes even dirty), and the payment isn't what I would call 'promising'.

I had discarded my dream to be a mangaka myself, though I still draw for the hell of it. However, if you're serious, there are ways to get into the bussiness...

Start as an assistant.

Many professional mangaka does this before their debut. If you happen to know a local mangaka, asks if you can work for them. Don't expect high wage, though.

Get help.
Don't force yourself to master every aspect. Many mangaka has assistants to work on background and screentoning. When you're ready making your own manga, try to get at least a friend to assist you. They'll help getting you stay focused, too.

Try to finish.
...in which I failed. Miserably. I know, I know--you have lots of ideas popping in your mind. For one minute you're all giddy and hyper but a moment later you're bored as hell and start sketching another manga character designs. Remember that one and zero is better than a half and a half. Try to finish one manga first (preferably the shortest) before start brainstorming for another idea. Having someone with you definitely helps with this. In my experience, I needed about 3 months to finish 48 pages before due to constant procrastination; with one assistant doing background art, my speed is amplified to 7-10 pages a week. Still a lot slower than Japanese mangaka who work at 20-30 pages a week, though...

Send a proposal to publisher.
Remember: it doesn't matter how beautiful your colored illustrations are. Editors are looking for visual storytellers. Include at least 10 manga pages and illustrations in different stages (sketch, ink, color), a proper logline (one sentence summary), a synopsis, and character designs.

Join competitions.
Shonen Jump holds monthly contests and online international annual competition. Kodansha has online manga scouts via Pixiv for different demographic and genres. Zenon has unique 'mute manga' contest. Some anime studios (like Gainax) holds storyboard-making contest occasionally. Winning their award means instant debut.

Consider other jobs.
From 100 aspiring mangaka, only 10 get their debut and only 1 get famous. Unless you're sure you're that 1%, you should consider other jobs. It doesn't mean you have to quit drawing. Just pick a job that allows you to earn enough money with enough spare time where you can work on your manga.

Good luck! ^o^/

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you eren..gosh after reading that i feel like ill be a starving artist lol..if being a mangaka is this brutual i can just imagine being an animator. ..but art is my only shot, i kinda suck at other stuff...and i was thinking of interning at SCAD when I get there.

And ill try and prep myself by starting on my manga and trying to hit that 20 page mark..

And abt the other job, i thought of nursing but its too gory for my squeamish stomach and my mom whose already in nursing schoolsays the tests are super rigorous. ...so i really dont kno how im gonna pull this off, guess I have to pray someone picks me up after I graduate from SCAD.

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also what do you mean by visual story tellers?

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And eren if I were you Id keep. Going, your art is beautiful and you've already got your foot through the door. :)

Banned
IMHO being an animator is easier. Japan actually needs a lot of special kinds of animators called "in-between animators" and "cel-colorist". They have to outsource from other countries (mainly South Korea). Unfortunately, these are relatively low-wage jobs...

Nursing would consume lots of time and energy, I suppose. My family and teachers once coerced me to be a surgeon or biochemist (since I was very good at that, having teaching advanced biology in high school at the age of 15). I'd probably have a more stable earnings if I followed their advice but these jobs are too rigorous for me... so I become a flight attendant. Everyone were like "I didn't see that coming!" lol. You'd probably want to consider other jobs, especially if it's too squeamish for you, I can imagine the mental stress. Good luck with your internship too ^^

Visual storyteller means a person who is able to communicate their story through drawings, even without no text/dialogue. Google "Zenon Mute Manga" to read some. :>

Thank you! I'll keep drawing for sure, I'm just not confident to get into the real business yet. Someday I hope I will. :)

Writer
Good luck to both of you :D

I am not sure how some artists can produce high-quality work in both painting and storyline. Junji Ito is my favorite manga/horror artist, and although i LOVE his painting style, and i quite like his storyplots, i think he is not as good in writing fiction as he is in drawing images. He is amazing in the latter, but a bit above average (in my view) in the former...

Anyway, still a very impressive artist. One can even find free small stories by him online :) I hope you both will do a lot better than him ;)

Banned
Good luck to both of you :D

I am not sure how some artists can produce high-quality work in both painting and storyline. Junji Ito is my favorite manga/horror artist, and although i LOVE his painting style, and i quite like his storyplots, i think he is not as good in writing fiction as he is in drawing images. He is amazing in the latter, but a bit above average (in my view) in the former...

Anyway, still a very impressive artist. One can even find free small stories by him online :) I hope you both will do a lot better than him ;)
Thank you! ^^

Junji Ito is a legend. I like his stories, they're surreal and creepy in a good way. His works are influence to my manga but mine is more of medical horror. :)

Mangaka whose story is better than the art is probably Hajime Isayama. Honestly I find his anatomy is rather awkward. But I keep reading anyway.

Registered
Pursuing any creative dream is going to take a lot of dedication. It鈥檚 not a 鈥減ractical鈥 career path, so you likely won鈥檛 get much support from family or friends. I would advise you to get a practical job to support yourself while trying to hone your craft.

It鈥檚 probably good that you have multiple ideas in the making. Just devote some time toward each of them to flesh them out and make them the best you can. Once you鈥檙e confident in the end product, look for somewhere to sell your stuff (I鈥檓 sure googling 鈥渉ow to sell manga art鈥 will provide many suggestions), and try to submit to these places. You鈥檒l just have to disregard your fear of rejection, or else you鈥檒l never get anywhere with your art.

Honestly, I wouldn鈥檛 expect to make a living just from manga art, but it may be a nice way to supplement your income while expressing yourself creatively.

Banned
A dream is something you gotta be willing to Die for . Something that'll make you Suicidal ... ... if taken away from you .

Let's not think about what's Possible or not .. cause anything that's not against the laws of Physics , is possible . Think about what exactly it is that you Want to see yourself achieve .

What do you want ?

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMHO being an animator is easier. Japan actually needs a lot of special kinds of animators called "in-between animators" and "cel-colorist". They have to outsource from other countries (mainly South Korea). Unfortunately, these are relatively low-wage jobs...

Nursing would consume lots of time and energy, I suppose. My family and teachers once coerced me to be a surgeon or biochemist (since I was very good at that, having teaching advanced biology in high school at the age of 15). I'd probably have a more stable earnings if I followed their advice but these jobs are too rigorous for me... so I become a flight attendant. Everyone were like "I didn't see that coming!" lol. You'd probably want to consider other jobs, especially if it's too squeamish for you, I can imagine the mental stress. Good luck with your internship too ^^

Visual storyteller means a person who is able to communicate their story through drawings, even without no text/dialogue. Google "Zenon Mute Manga" to read some. :>

Thank you! I'll keep drawing for sure, I'm just not confident to get into the real business yet. Someday I hope I will. :)
wow teaching advanced biology in HS woooooowwww... yah you would be a shoe in for nursing ^^ and I will read zenon mute ^^ or try to :) thnx a bunch

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A dream is something you gotta be willing to Die for . Something that'll make you Suicidal ... ... if taken away from you .

Let's not think about what's Possible or not .. cause anything that's not against the laws of Physics , is possible . Think about what exactly it is that you Want to see yourself achieve .

What do you want ?
the only thing worth me being suicidal abt is my family ...no offense, i think thats a bit heavy for something like art..but I do feel a bit of agony when Im stiffling it, not doing what im supposed to w/ this talent ...

life just isnt so easy :/ I wish it were

Banned
the only thing worth me being suicidal abt is my family ...no offense, i think thats a bit heavy for something like art..but I do feel a bit of agony when Im stiffling it, not doing what im supposed to w/ this talent ...

life just isnt so easy :/ I wish it were
Well if it was easy then there wouldn't be any Magic and Chase to it , would there ? It'd be something that any fool could get good at .

I don't actually think that life being Hard is the problem . The problem is that when you're depressed .. .. you lack the motivation to take action , and the strength to cope with rejection .

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No denise youre flat out completely wrong... you don't know me or what I go through so you can't measure my strength,thnx u very much.

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im just trying to be practical in going about my dreams, and there is nothing weak or depressing abt that. should really think before you speak.

Writer
^So, can we see more works by the Manga artists here? :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts