Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like lots of people, at some point I picked up this annoying verbal tic of saying "like" all the time and I've been told I sound like a valley girl, which is no good in interviews and at work. I try to be aware of it but when I finally start to relax and talk the "likes" keep clogging up my sentences. Has anyone gotten past this? How?

·
Registered
8 Posts
yo I start all my sentences and end my sentences with yo....i just noticed this recently. i also need help with this...

·
Banned
3,884 Posts
I seriously don't know how people can talk WITHOUT saying "Like" or "Umm..." a bunch of times...I mean...what else you're going to say while you thinking of what to say next?

Not sure about others but i have to think pretty damn hard while I'm talking...& "like" and "umm.." comes up a lot.

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Does it help if you slow down while talking? I use "like" like that too sometimes, but if it gets heavy, just discouraging it reduces it for me.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I seriously don't know how people can talk WITHOUT saying "Like" or "Umm..." a bunch of times...I mean...what else you're going to say while you thinking of what to say next?

Not sure about others but i have to think pretty damn hard while I'm talking...& "like" and "umm.." comes up a lot.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to avoid in conversational speech, when you haven't already determined what you want to say. It also usually seems awkward/unnatural to report other people's words and actions without using 'like'.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Almost everyone does it. I barely take note of it anymore. "dude" and "man" are my biggest ones, maybe moreso than "like".

·
Registered
558 Posts
Like, I really don't see why, like, people can't like talk without saying 'like' in like every sentence. It's so like....annoying! I know like everyone does it like all the time...but it's annoying lol. :)

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I also say "like" all the time. And "Ya know" at the end of sentences.

·
Registered
745 Posts
mellie said:
Has anyone gotten past this? How?
It helps to use your hands more when you talk. I don't know why, it just does (for me, anyway).

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
I'm one of those people. Once people started doing it, it just came naturally to me. I don't ridiculously overuse it, but I do definitely use it a lot more than it should be used. No one's told me it was annoying yet, I hope they're not just trying to make me feel better :um

1 - 11 of 11 Posts