Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of making this thread for a while. Though, I know that not many of you will take this seriously due to multiple factors (bad image of Islam, non-Muslim).

I, as a Muslim, see social anxiety in a very unique way. A way which God has described for me in the glorious Qu'ran. I believe that it is Satan who causes almost every problem which we consider bad for us. For example; OCD, AP, and even S.A.D. Remember, this is what I and other Muslims think, so if you don't agree with what I'm saying here, which you probably won't be, that is completely up to you.

We learn from the Qu'ran that each and every one of us are born with a companion devil and a companion angel. This companion devil is not a friend, he is but a trick, he is a companion of Satan. It is this devil that I, and other Muslims believe to be the cause of many disorders.

Allah (Allah simply means "The God" in Arabic) tells us to ponder each parable verse in the Qu'ran and understand them properly and find hidden meanings within them.

Whenever God describes Satan in the Qu'ran, he always says that you will head to the wrong path (just for a temporarily amount of time in most cases). Wrong "paths" don't always have to be as bad of a thing as alcohol or adultery. The main purpose of Satan and his companions is to drive us away from God. The feeling of any form of anxiety drives us away from God. Most of us are let down by our social anxiety, we begin to think negatively and distrust and disobey God.

For example, a person with OCD is characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce anxiety, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by combinations of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions). Those intrusive thoughts, while sometimes by yourself, are not always by yourself, but by Satan.

A verse from the Qu'ran is as follows; "From the mischief of the Whisperer (Satan), who withdraws (after his whisper),- (The same) who whispers into the hearts of Mankind,- Among Jinns and among men." And another verse says: "From the evil of the whisperer who hides".

The word 'Jinn' means devil. The word 'whisperer' is literal in which the context of the Qu'ran describes it. These verses here tells us that Satan has the ability to whisper to us and then withdraw. That is exactly the affect of OCD; you don't think the intrusive thoughts you initiate, you initiate them because the thoughts tell you to. The main four symptoms of OCD are harm, filth, lust, and blasphemy, which are EXACTLY what Satan wants you do to do. A massive percentage of the world population suffer from OCD.

God says in the Qu'ran; "He (Satan) commands you what is harmful, sinful, and say about Allah (God) what you have no knowledge of".

Now, the question is, does social anxiety lead you into harmful, sinful, lustful, filthy or blasphemous acts?

Lustful, filthy? No. Harmful or sinful? Yes. Many people with social anxiety have committed suicide, which is a harmful and sinful act. You do anything to relax yourself, you may start drinking, start smoking, all of which are sinful according to the Qu'ran. The main thing you'd do to avoid feeling anxious is get away from the situation, and start thinking negatively about yourself - which in itself is a bad trait, and exactly what Satan wants to achieve.

Now, this is one of my all time favorite Qu'ranic verse; "And the evil blower of the knots". - What God means by this is, there are neurotic knots/strings all over (inside) our brain which allows us to blow air and speak. When your companion devil whispers a thought in your mind containing fear and anxiety then he at the same time directs his voice to the neural knots in your brain responsible for producing a contraction in chest muscles thus generating the emotion of fear and anxiety. It is Satan that makes you fear physical or mentally. Whenever you're in a state of anxiety, do you not feel a very heavy burden inside your brain? Don't you feel your brain starting to hurt?

Satan hides and achieves what he wants unnoticed from each and everyone of us because that is the best way to affect the human race. He wouldn't just simply show himself and tell people to listen to him and disobey God, that would definitely not work.

There is a verse in the Qu'ran where God describes Satan who is saying; "I will mislead them, and I will create in them false desires; I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and to deface the [fair] nature created by Allah." Whoever, forsaking Allah, takes Satan for a friend, hath of a surety suffered a loss that is manifest. Satan makes them promises, and creates in them false desires to his followers; but Satan's promises are nothing but deception."

[17:64] "You may entice them with your voice, and mobilize all your forces and all your men against them, and share in their money and children, and promise them. Anything the devil promises is no more than an illusion.

[3:175] It is the devil's system to instill fear into his subjects. Do not fear them and fear Me (God) instead, if you are believers.

"Thus we have appointed you a middle nation, that you may be witnesses for mankind." (Quran 2:413).

As Muslims we can appreciate the perfection in the balance and limits Allah has placed in creation. If the earth was even slightly closer to the sun, everything would be burnt, and if the earth was even slightly further from the sun, it would be too cold to sustain life. But where Allah has placed it is just right for living things to grow. It is amazing when we discover the beauty, the intricacy and harmony that Allah has placed in the natural system - from cosmology to biology to physics.

"O Mankind ! Your rebellion is only against yourselves!....." (Quran 10:23). But because we have free will we can choose not to live in this perfect balance within ourselves and with the rest of creation.

To conclude, for too long the Islamic contribution to knowledge of the self and its application/ implications for positive mental health development has not been recognised or explored fully. I believe that the science of the self is the foundation of all sciences. As the Prophet (saw) said: "He who knows himself knows Allah". The word 'science' is based on the Greek word meaning 'knowledge' or 'to know'. And the simple truth is that Allah is not only the Ultimate Reality but the source of all knowledge, so take refuge from Satan from Allah and don't let Satan overrule and convince you who you think you are - because you are not who he says you are.

I will end with a few verses from the Qu'ran which go as:

[89:13] Consequently, your Lord poured upon them a whipping retribution.

[89:14] Your Lord is ever watchful.

[89:15] When the human being is tested by his Lord, through blessings and joy, he says, "My Lord is generous towards me."

[89:16] But if He tests him through reduction in provisions, he says, "My Lord is humiliating me!"

[89:17] Wrong! It is you who brought it on yourselves by not regarding the orphan.

[89:18] And not advocating charity towards the poor.

[89:19] And consuming the inheritance of helpless orphans.

[89:20] And loving the money too much.

[89:21] Indeed, when the earth is crushed, utterly crushed.

[89:22] And your Lord comes, together with the angels in row after row.

[89:23] And hell is brought near that day; on that day man will remember, but how will the remembrance then avail him?

[89:24] He will say, "Oh, I wish I prepared for my (eternal) life."

[89:25] On that day, no retribution could be worse than His retribution.

[89:26] And no confinement is as effective as His confinement.

[89:27] As for you, O content soul.

[89:28] Return to your Lord, pleased and pleasing.

[89:29] Welcome into My servants.

[89:30] Welcome into My Paradise.

It is clear to us when we view our lives from this perspective, our time here on earth is actually only a small part of our ultimate destiny.

I'd also like to point out that the Qu'ran DOES NOT say that only "good" Muslims will go to heaven. It says that ANY good soul will be judged justly by God, as he isn't unjust. This includes atheists, Christians etc..

"Honey is a remedy for every physical illness and the Qur'an is a remedy for all mental illness; therefore, I recommend to you both as remedies, the Qur'an and honey."

·
alles muß verblühn
398 Posts
While I'm not a Muslim, I believe what you're saying is still true. I believe the Devil is responsible for many things like this. There are many Biblical verses to back up both our perspectives. For example:

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'" Romans 8:15

Besides the Devil, I think some of it has to do with the Fall. With the Fall of man came sin and everything which was not of God which includes fear, sadness, etc. so I think that and the Devil all play a part in mental disorders (or at least in the irritation of them, assuming that some might be caused by physical abnormalities).

Also, thanks for sharing so many verses from the Qu'ran. I'm not all too familiar with it, but it was nice to see some actual verses being used in their correct context instead of taken out of context to fuel some sort of anti-Muslim hate.

·
Banned
401 Posts
i'm a Muslim too, but i don't completely agree. i sound like a radical religious person here, but i kind of feel like maybe God gave it to us as a test. to see how we deal with the stress: do we turn to God or do we look for the easy and quick way out? and i think then, when we choose the easy way (smoking etc), then Satan maybe h as more to do with it.

·
Banned
213 Posts
This is just a cop-out so that we can blame our issues on something external, aka "Satan".
Whilst it is true, that a lot of our behaviour is caused by things external, we cannot just simply transmit the blame onto these things. The sooner you start realizing that you are responsible for your own issues, the sooner you're going to realize that they're in your control and not "Satan's". It's easy to throw blame around, but it won't get us anywhere.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is just a cop-out so that we can blame our issues on something external, aka "Satan".
Whilst it is true, that a lot of our behaviour is caused by things external, we cannot just simply transmit the blame onto these things. The sooner you start realizing that you are responsible for your own issues, the sooner you're going to realize that they're in your control and not "Satan's". It's easy to throw blame around, but it won't get us anywhere.
It is we who are the ones causing it cause we're accepting into the things which aren't right, but that "we" is also our so called companion devil, he is a part of us.

This is not a cop-out at all. By putting the "blame" on Satan you're also trying to fight the negative thoughts he's causing within you. So whether you look at it in an external or internal point of you, you'll still come to the same conclusion.

·
Banned
213 Posts
It is we who are the ones causing it cause we're accepting into the things which aren't right, but that "we" is also our so called companion devil, he is a part of us.

This is not a cop-out at all. By putting the "blame" on Satan you're also trying to fight the negative thoughts he's causing within you. So whether you look at it in an external or internal point of you, you'll still come to the same conclusion.
You miss the point I'm trying to make. I made it quite explicit. You are putting the blame on something other than yourself. It is a cop-out.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You miss the point I'm trying to make. I made it quite explicit. You are putting the blame on something other than yourself. It is a cop-out.
And you missed the response I gave you. I am not putting the blame on something other than myself.

·
SAS Member
2,774 Posts
loooooooool

I'm sorry, I know as an atheist that my presence in this forum is not appreciated, but I couldn't stop laughing for a full minute after I read this. And I just thought all of you should know.

·
ENTP with SA...How?
2,418 Posts
Hmmmm well ya i get the part where SA leads to sinful acts thats a good point. But i dont think its the devil that causes it. It could also even be a blessing in disguise sometimes, it doesnt alwayd lead to sinful acts... Unless masturbating is a sin.

You have to consider society too. Wr live in mostly
extrovert society, so imtroverts like
us are considered strange and wrong.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hahahahahahahaha. I'm sorry but I laughed so hard that my mom even came into my room and started yelling at me for being up at 2:30 am. No bull sh.it.

·
Inside my head im free
544 Posts
satan does not exist. am i the only one that can see that 90% of our population suffers from a mass delusion? god, devil, heaven, and hell do not exist.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
***Thread Advisory***
The Spirituality forum is not for debate, and never has been per the Guidelines. Saying whether you believe in a Heaven or Hell or not contributes nothing to this thread anyway. It should be left out. Warnings may have to be given.

We get a thought into our minds. We have to take every thought captive. If it is temptation to sin, it is from the devil. If it is a test of purpose (in life or on a journey), it is from God.

God NEVER tempts us to sin. He is the One trying to keep us from harm - "deliver us from evil".

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, thanks for sharing so many verses from the Qu'ran. I'm not all too familiar with it, but it was nice to see some actual verses being used in their correct context instead of taken out of context to fuel some sort of anti-Muslim hate.
No problem. Glad to shine the truth of the Qu'ran on you.

·
Permanently Manned!
2,894 Posts
Are you for real?? Satan?

Religion has NO effect on Social Anxiety, anyone who says so is talking crap.

·
Banned
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you for real?? Satan?

Religion has NO effect on Social Anxiety, anyone who says so is talking crap.
Hm, and I can say that "you're talking crap" about not believing in said thing as well. But, I won't.

It's easy to state something.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Thanks... Interesting post. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think that SA starts as introversion and then society pushes us to be social and then it turns into anxiety because of the pressure ..

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.