Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i'm applying for a bunch of colleges in general and what are the best SAT scores I should try 2 aim for?

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
since i do not know what colleges you are applying to i will just give you what i think would be like around a reasonable upper limit of what to aim for if you were setting your expectations high - to be a competitive applicant anywhere - and that is 2000 (applicants' scores are compared more or less relative to their cohort and for you that is safely within the laudable 99th percentile).

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Really, it depends what colleges you plan to apply to. But I don't see why you should aim for a "best" SAT score, unless it's a 2400. You can always do better, and you shouldn't restrict yourself by making a goal of, say, 1900 and being completely content with that score. The better your score is, the more likely you are to get in anywhere, it's just a fact.

Definitely set a goal for yourself (it's impossible for us to help you set a goal without knowing more about you), but don't let this be a limit that you will be content once you reach.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Depends on what your goals are. Really, unless you want to eventually become a tenured professor at a big name university (to help you get into a super competitive PhD program), or go to some uber competitive undergrad program you have particular interest in, you really don't need to go to a big name school, even to get into most competitive grad programs. Your undergrad school's name won't matter in most circumstances, and the only thing that you really will get by going to a well known school is more opportunities to work with well known professors, who do more ambitious things in terms of research or other work (which is why I mentioned it helping to get into a top PhD program later on). For a bachelors, the school won't matter much at all imo, as long as it's decent, and in terms of getting into grad programs, a high GPA, high standardized test (MCAT, DAT, LSAT, etc.) will always trump school name.

Anyways, I'd shoot for as high as possible, just to maximize your opportunities, and maximize your ability to get a scholarship (which I think anyone should choose over getting in tons of debt at a school with a fancy name).

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinkin about universities like Virginia Tech, ODU, GMU, or anywhere in Virginia then transfer to Cali mainly the Silicon Valley area next year, I dont like VA or the south its not for me.

·
Fooly Cooly
228 Posts
Aim for 2400. There's not a "best" SAT score, because your intelligence doesn't have a maximum.

Also, why ask us? Just look for Freshman Admission Requirements on the schools' websites.

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
It really depends on which colleges you're applying to. To be safe, mid-range colleges would probably take in kids with 1800 or higher, giventhat that kid also has a solid GPA (around 3.5-ish) or otherwise qualifying special circumstances.

If it helps, U.S. average SAT score is around 1500, but of course few colleges would accept applicants who barely scrape past that number.

I only applied to one college, because I know if I can't get into that exact one for my exact major, I'll settle instead for community college then a possible transfer. I never studied for the SAT (my pride said studying is cheating; after all, this IS an aptitude test, not a paint by numbers kit in which you take 20 bajillion prep classes to prepare) but I got an 1850 when I took it this year. The test totally blind-sided me though. If I were you I'd take a couple SAT practice tests beforehand and aim for at least 2000.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
What kind/how good are these colleges you're going to apply to?

Even at the very best schools, anything above 2200 pretty much doesn't matter much anymore. It's great if you get a 2400, but really it's not going to make that much of a difference compared to if you get 2200. I don't know anything about your intelligence/motivation, so I would make my first goal 1500 (the supposed average), then push yourself up as high as you can go (maybe the 2000s?). Aiming for a perfect 2400 or something near it seems pretty pointless in my opinion. That time should be spent in much more productive ways.
you were on cc. how could you miss this how. HOW. it turns out admissions chance increases exponentially with SAT scores when they exceed 2200. i think this fact is even referenced in silverturtle's renowned guide.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/865226-addressing-few-concerns.html

·
Registered
405 Posts
you were on cc. how could you miss this how. HOW. it turns out admissions chance increases exponentially with SAT scores when they exceed 2200. i think this fact is even referenced in silverturtle's renowned guide.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/865226-addressing-few-concerns.html
Thanks for that link, so I was wrong. But I was thinking in terms of time & benefits received. And it still seems to me that the time investment required to make those increases are probably not worth it.

·
Banned
3,217 Posts
Thanks for that link, so I was wrong. But I was thinking in terms of time & benefits received. And it still seems to me that the time investment required to make those increases are probably not worth it.
yeah the increases don't seem worth it. (1) because they're simply hard to achieve, but also (2) because it might be super high scores indicate a lot of other remarkable things that make someone's application stand out, so if you just go after unusually high scores you won't really be getting the full advantage that most people with those scores have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts