Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a karaoke bar near my house with a couple of friends. I don't drink because I worry about the interaction with my antidepressant. Anyway, I wanted to go and sing. I've been to this bar before and sang, but the songs were all slow. I wanted to challenge myself and sing some more upbeat songs. I was scared because I'm really shy about dancing and I felt people wouldn't expect me to sing them. I was worried people would think I was just trying to be cool. My friend told me that no one really dances there anyway. So, I decided on singing 'La Isla Bonita' by Madonna and 'Toxic' by Britney Spears.

It turns out I didn't know 'La Isla Bonita' as well as I thought, but I tried to play it off by having a longer interlude. No one was really paying attention. I did better with 'Toxic'; was able to put a little attitude in my voice. My friends said I did well with both of the songs, but you know how friends are. They were like No, really. You did well. I'm glad I was able to bring out more of myself :yay. I had fun nonetheless, without my benzo :D. I'm trying to do as much as possible without it because of the effects it has during pregnancy. I see myself having kids within a couple of years.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It'd be nice to go sing karaoke (maybe even do a fast Japanese pop song if I ever did karaoke in Japan lol)! I'm glad everything went well though! Congrats!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Karaoke scares me. My vocal range is narrow when it comes to hitting certain pitch, tho in a very small range (think half octave..) I can somewhat sing decently. One time after prescribing myself with a healthy dose of vodka I decided to get on stage and go for it, as the crowd seemed pretty cool, and almost everyone was terrible. I sang Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode, it actually went really well. When the beat kicked in, some people started cheering wildly, apparently big DM fans like myself. That kind of set the stage for me, and the vocals fit really well in my personal range. Truth be told, it was ALOT of fun, however for me, it's a very situational thing lol. If I'm drunk enough, the crowd is drunk enough, and they have one of 3 or 4 songs that sound good when I'm in the shower, I'll do it again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
:clap Congrats to you. yay for you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for the congratulations :D! No, I didn't end up dancing. I wish I could have :boogie.

I'm glad you were able to sing Guesswerk. Sounds like it was a positive experience for you :clap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts