Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just watching this video about how Cadbury have downsized many of their products by a fifth but glossed over it with fancy ad campaigns and different packaging. So I started thinking about other products that companies have been doing this with, ie. how much air do we pay for in chip packets and water in canned foods...just a little gripe I had! :mum I know it's nothing new...it's just frustrating...but it just means I'll get my chocolate from Aldi's...it's tastes good if not better and for the same quantity is cheaper.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
This is hardly new. Just look at the magically shrinking ice cream cartons. It's rare to find any that are still the standard half gallon. Pretty soon they'll be so small as to be a single serving cup!

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I have noticed this in cereal boxes as well.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Muffins, don't forget muffins! Once upon a time I believe they came in one size only: giant. And now they've shrunk into these wee things and if ya still want giant, you gotta fork out more.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Yep, I've noticed this with a lot of stuff I buy.
Peanut butter has almost gone down to half the size it used to be, yet is pretty much the same price. I buy bottled water and the sizes have gone down. I actually had an old water bottle in my fridge from a while ago, maybe a few months, and the size has gone down noticeably, but it's still the same price.
Very few things are staying the same size. I've been buying generic brands of things just because a lot of the sizes are the same size as the old name brand products or even bigger and most of the time costs a little less. And a lot of it tastes the same or better.
It's old news, though, so it doesn't bother me too much anymore. I remember seeing a news story on it and I did get a tiny bit upset because some things are already overpriced, in my opinion, but now the packages are getting smaller, but still the same old price. This only ever even comes to mind when someone mentions it or I go to buy something and notice the size has gone down.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Muffins, don't forget muffins! Once upon a time I believe they came in one size only: giant. And now they've shrunk into these wee things and if ya still want giant, you gotta fork out more.
Actually, muffins were not always gigantic. I'm old enough to remember a time when muffins were of normal size, but then they became these monstrous items so large that one could literally be a meal.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'll get my chocolate from Aldi's...it's tastes good if not better and for the same quantity is cheaper
I agree. Cadbury's milk chocolate isn't up to much any more.

Although not made by Cadbury's, the Mars bar seems to have changed too. They're not only softer and less chocolately, but the standard size seems smaller than before.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
Most of the markets around me have a tag that tells you what you're paying per ounce, gram, etc whatever so you can compare products. But if you look around, you can see how deceptively packaged some of the stuff is.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
Ice cream containers are now down to 1.5 Qts.

·
beech plees
1,290 Posts
I've noticed the opposite in some products - like Andes mints. They just used to be bite size but became twice the size...something I didn't appreciate since I liked them small. I'd e annoyed if they started shrinking my beloved frozen yogurt or Ben & Jerry's though.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Don't get me started! :wife

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Well......to counteract it, Frito-Lay added 20% to their product "for free" - I bet it's undownsizing, but it's at least a start. That was kind of nice of them after they kept raising prices.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
One thing that I have noticed. The actual metal coffee cans have not changed size yet they hold less weight.A 1 lb can now holds 13.5 oz. and a 3 lb can holds 39 oz. They weigh less yet when you open a new can, it's still full. What type of light weight filler are they adding to the coffee?

·
Immortal Corrupter
117 Posts
This is hardly new. Just look at the magically shrinking ice cream cartons. It's rare to find any that are still the standard half gallon. Pretty soon they'll be so small as to be a single serving cup!
That's why you buy the big buckets instead- the ones we get have 5 quarts for just over $5, it's a way better deal. Of course, the flavor selection is rather limited, but I make up for that by adding bits of cookies or cake.

·
In orbit, always
824 Posts
Cereal really bugs me. I can remember, as a kid, the father of a Nigerian kid in our neighborhood telling us a box of Corn Flakes cost $5 in Nigeria. Well here we are in 2009, and a box of Corn Flakes is close to $5 in the United States. And the content is smaller, of course.

By the way, I have a box of generic HyVee Cheerios, and a box of Life, which was on sale for $1.88, much less than its normal $3.88. The Cheerios box is considerably larger, yet both boxes claim a net weight of 15 ounces (425g).

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Cereal really bugs me. I can remember, as a kid, the father of a Nigerian kid in our neighborhood telling us a box of Corn Flakes cost $5 in Nigeria. Well here we are in 2009, and a box of Corn Flakes is close to $5 in the United States. And the content is smaller, of course.

By the way, I have a box of generic HyVee Cheerios, and a box of Life, which was on sale for $1.88, much less than its normal $3.88. The Cheerios box is considerably larger, yet both boxes claim a net weight of 15 ounces (425g).
It's by weight and not volume. That's why.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Remember when Hershey used to make giant size candy bars that were 8 ounces? Then it shrunk to 7 ounces and is now down to 5 ounces I believe. Pretty soon "giant size" will turn into bite size.

How do Americans keep getting bigger as their candy keeps getting smaller?:stu

1 - 17 of 17 Posts