Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what some of us with SA have had as jobs; and how was the experience?

Eg. (not me i haven't had a job since SA :p)

Worked as a waiter for a year, very stressful probably 8/10 i felt i was being judged.

So i quit and became a librarian and it was much less stressful 2/10 had some bad days but mostly good :)

Thnx I'm sure your answers will be great :b

·
Here, there & everywhere
233 Posts
I painted murals for an elementary school. I didn't like working there because the teachers were always bothering me and it was really awkward being around them.

And my current job is at a small business office. I just stuff envelopes and stuff. :p

Aaaand that's about it.

·
Spread Your Wings
1,512 Posts
Wow, how do you get behind scenes work and it's part-time?

i hate my cashier job badly and it's making me really depressed.

·
Ladybug Whisperer
167 Posts
i've had one job and it was just office stuff so I mostly stuffed envelopes. somehow i avoided answering phones. now i'm pressured with getting a job since i just graduated. don't know how well that's gonna go

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
I was an intern (paid, not taxed) for the Port Authority in the Government Affairs office.

I was an intern (unpaid) at a popular Boston radio channel working on websites.

I was an editorial intern (unpaid) at a non-profit publishing house.

I was an intern (unpaid) at the Make-A-Wish Department helping in their office.

And my last job, which was my first real job, was working as a technical writer at an IT consulting firm. Zzzzz.

So, my experience is quite varied. My favorite was working at the publishing house because I got to go through their massive slush pile and write rejection letters, the majority to extremely educated and experienced people with Ph.D.'s. :lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
I do production. I'm in the back room and don't have to deal directly with customers, so it's nice.

It's the only job I've ever had. Getting one was hard because I was always too afraid to go out and apply for one, and if I did I'd usually do horrible on the interviews. I finally manged to get a job when I was basically handed this one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pizza Hut - cook/took phone orders (ugh)
Sears Hardware - cashier
cable manufacturer - assembler/shipper
children's clothes warehouse - picker/packer
flower shop - delivery driver
aircraft component manufacturer - shipper
printing place - production artist
DoD contractor - graphic artist

2,348 Posts
5 seasons as an usher at Wrigley Field
1 year as an usher at the Broadway in Chicago theatres
2 and a half years as a cashier at CVS
6 months as an intern at Chicago History Museum (I really miss working there)
1 year and 4 months (and counting) at some business that I don't know exactly what they do. :haha

·
Registered
139 Posts
part-time job making phone calls for a political campaign
1 year paid internship doing clerical work for a job mentor program
and for this summer, do an internship at an animal shelter (yay! i love animals:))

·
Registered
928 Posts
First job at 16: A bakery (Bakers Delight), didnt last long there.
No job till age 19: A room attendant (housekeeping) in resort interstate (Voyages Hotels Ayers Rock NT), lasted 4 months.
At 23: I got a retail job in a homewares shop (House). Fired after 2 and half days work.
Now 24. Unemployed. :time

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I worked as a student in an archaeology lab for work/study. It was interesting at first but horribly repetitive. And I deveoped a hatred of nails (I'd sometimes have to through bagfuls of nothing but dug up nails from sites, wash and catalouge every one).

My first real job, Godiva Chocolatier - Worked as a sales associate for about six months from Novemeber 2007 to April 2008. Then I worked there again from Nov 2008 feb 2009. Stressful as hell but enjoyable. I have no idea how I got hired for the xmas rush with no prior retail experience.

Bath & Body Works - Sales associate during summer 2008. Didn't like it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
First job at 16: A bakery (Bakers Delight), didnt last long there.
No job till age 19: A room attendant (housekeeping) in resort interstate (Voyages Hotels Ayers Rock NT), lasted 4 months.
At 23: I got a retail job in a homewares shop (House). Fired after 2 and half days work.
Now 24. Unemployed. :time
Why were you fired ?

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Co-op at public school system in home town when I was in Grade 12. 5 people handled every computer in a 20 school system.

Cut grass and did golf course things for 3 summers in college. Got free golf.

Just completed 5 years at my current job, which I am just as surprised at as anybody.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I taught some college English courses when I was in grad school, and did some tutoring.

That's it. I never even had any part-time or summer jobs or anything like that.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts