Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had this happen to them?

Just today I added a cute girl from my University on Facebook. I went onto her wall to post "Hey, how's it going" and before I could press Submit my heart started beating like crazy (as if I was talking to her face to face) and I could barely sit right in my chair. Anyways, after I forced myself to post it and after her less-than-wanted reply "Hi...haha do I know you?" and after some more posts I was getting pretty cool with her.

I saw her online and decided to chat with her, I opened up her window and typed "hey there" and froze. I couldnt press submit...I finally talked myself into pressing enter but as soon as I did I felt incredibly nervous. I even turned off my computer screen for a few seconds.

After telling myself if this is how I act alone how will I EVER do it online, I turned the screen back on and saw she said "Hey dude, sorry busy with homework...online reading" I said "np, good luck" and she said "peace".

Anyways, maybe too much detail (possibly should have been a post for the triumphs board?).

Anyone else feel this way or is it just me...

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
Online communication often makes me more nervous than offline. People are less guarded because there are fewer consequences for making abusive comments and far fewer cues by which to judge how they might respond, or are responding, to you.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I've been similar situations. Communicating online can be so hard, and I have this paranoid feeling that someone will read a message I send and twist the words to make them seem hurtful (when they really aren't).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can understand what your going through. With me everytime I talk to someone(especially females) on facebook or through text messaging. I always find myself deleting what I wrote and then restarting, it takes me a while to be satisfied with what I write.

O and congrats you did well.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I use to have a lot of problems posting and chatting online, it's gotten easier but I do find many times that I'll still delete many posts before submitting them because I can't seem to get them just the way I want them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it's someone I know I tend to have a hard time communicating online unless it's someone I'm close to. On places like this though I feel more at ease because I don't know the people and I can speak freely without worrying about whether or not they are going to remember what I said and analyze it, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts