Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of us feel that in addition to SA we have what seems to feel like other debilitating factors in our life that hinder us in the advancement of our lives, especially socially.

So what I'm asking is: WHAT PROBLEM + SA = CURSE...or at least what feels like a "cursed" existence due to the problem along with your SA.

And for those who think this is just another pointless thread where a "pity party
" is held, there's another part to this "equation". Post 1 good suggestion you can give the person who has posted above you for helping to compensate for their "CURSE" equation by encouraging them in some way.

For my equation:

NO SUPPORT SYSTEM + SA = CURSE

I'm sure many of you on here can relate to how difficult it seems to be to move past our fears socially when it feels like no one truly understands or cares what we are going through internally, and doesn't help to make us feel any less disliked or inadequate.

Don't be shy...post your equation and don't forget to leave some advice for the previous poster. :)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
You've found a support system right here on SAS! You are moving forward!
Give yourself a big hug.

I guess mine is EVIL DAD + SA = CURSE?? Dunno.

I just recently found a self-confessed SA sufferer in real life and we exchanged sob stories. It was soo nice. I even mentioned my lifelong fear of diving into swimming pools to him (I can't dive off a diving board or even the side of the pool).

559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've found a support system right here on SAS! You are moving forward!
Give yourself a big hug.

I guess mine is EVIL DAD + SA = CURSE?? Dunno.

I just recently found a self-confessed SA sufferer in real life and we exchanged sob stories. It was soo nice. I even mentioned my lifelong fear of diving into swimming pools to him (I can't dive off a diving board or even the side of the pool).
Ya, you know what...you're right! It's so true...I sorta do! Yay! :boogie I guess sometimes I forget that though, and I still feel so alone in the world. Plus, although SAS is great, it's still not the same as actually having someone in, I guess you could say, "real life", to openly talk to about all your problems.

Wow! Good for you! :clap It's nice to see you have managed to make a connection locally with someone who can empathize with you and therefore better support you. It must not have been easy to open up to them, so you definitely deserve props for that and a hug :hug. It seems you don't need my advice much after all cause it seems as though you're on a great path to success already by developing an alternative support system with that fellow SA sufferer. Nice! :clap

How is your dad evil? Is there any other family members in your life you can turn to to compensate for your poor relationship with him? Also, how did your fear of swimming pools start?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Well, my dad was pretty volatile and would fly off the handle at the slightest thing he didn't like and pull out his belt and come after you. Once he chased my brother around his mom's house with his belt swinging. Crazy.

I communicate regularly with my 2 brothers and sister, but don't really whine too much to them...I guess I don't want them to think of me as a whiner?

Don't know about swimming pools...maybe I was accused of witchcraft in a past life and they did that test on me where they dunk you in water to see if you sink or float.

You come across as amazingly cheerful and upbeat. You should become a motivational coach!

559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my dad was pretty volatile and would fly off the handle at the slightest thing he didn't like and pull out his belt and come after you. Once he chased my brother around his mom's house with his belt swinging. Crazy.

I communicate regularly with my 2 brothers and sister, but don't really whine too much to them...I guess I don't want them to think of me as a whiner?

Don't know about swimming pools...maybe I was accused of witchcraft in a past life and they did that test on me where they dunk you in water to see if you sink or float.

You come across as amazingly cheerful and upbeat. You should become a motivational coach!
Sorry to hear about your dad. Sounds quite a bit like my mom actually. It's good to see you're fairly close with your siblings though. I know what you mean to some degree, because my family, especially that of my brother and I are not close, so it is definitely awkward considering opening up about personal problems, so it just doesn't happen.

LOL. :lol Ya, maybe?! But it wouldn't hurt to try to face your fear and learn how to swim, however difficult and impossible that might seem to be for you because it can come in handy in life. :lol It's funny you say that. I wouldn't mind being a motivational coach because I love helping people, but I am far too cynical sometimes for it to be that plausible I think. Unfortunately, I am one of the cases of people that are usually good helping people get past their problems but not quite as good at handling their own. :roll Sigh. I guess it's both a blessing and a curse. Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.